Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • reccomend a port – drinking type
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Want to buy a guy at work a bottle of port for his 50th. Not too flush financially at the moment, so was thinking of £50 absolute maximum.
    Any suggestions.

ta

bruneep

wow! you’re not flush and you’ll blow £50 on a work mate. What would you spend if you were flush.

and I have no idea about port.

Nick

I like Fonseca Bin 27, well within your budget, I personally don’t think it’s worth spending loads on Port as it doesn’t keep all that well once opened and who wants to quaff 75cl of expensive fortified wine in a couple of weeks?

ransos
    Free Member

It’s best to go to a good wine merchant – you need to decide on style, and whether you want a port for drinking now, or one that will be at its best in a few years time.

One recommendation – for something a bit unusual, try a Colheita. It’s a “vintage” tawny so is lighter in colour and style than other ports. I think it goes much better with cheese than heavier ports. I had this one last Christmas: null

Within your budget and highly recommended – lovely taste of spices and dried fruits.

AndyP
    Free Member

who wants to quaff 75cl of expensive fortified wine in a couple of weeks

I’d love it if I could make a bottle last a couple of weeks!

For £50, I’d have a crack at tracking down a bottle of Quarles Harris 1977…

Hairychested
    Free Member

A bottle of port never lasts more than 2 days in my household. £50 for a bottle, dream come true 🙂

Go to a good merchant, talk to them.

Muke
    Free Member

How about….

Maybe not as good as making your own, but a nice alternative none the less.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘reccomend a port – drinking type’ is closed to new replies.