Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recabling campy shifters, advice please.
  • jkomo

I feel the need to re cable the road bike. It has campy mirage with weird looking plastic sheathed inners cables.
    I have no idea even how to get into the shifters to do it.
    Just wondered if anyone has any advice before I give it a go.

LardLover
    Free Member

Make sure the shifter is set to the smallest cog (front and rear), pull the hood away from the bars and over the small gear change lever. Cut the old cable and push it towards the shifter, you’ll see it come out underneath to the outside of the brake lever. Then feed in new cables. The bugger bit is getting it to go through the cable guide in the top of the lever (and out into the outer cable). Take care at this point, make sure only enough cable is showing to go round the guide and into the hole leaving the shifter into the outer cable, then get something to push down on the end of gear cable to guide it into the little hole.

Does that make sense?! 😕

Also, make sure when feeding new cable into the shifter that the cables are actually going through the cable stop. I thought I’d **** one of my Super Record shifter mechanisms but it turned out I’d missed the cable stop and fed the cable up the side of it. When I tried to shift from inner to outer rings at the front there was a loud clip then nothing…..! Cue much sweating and panic until I realised what I had done.

jkomo

Nice one, thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jkomo

Any recommendation on cables?

jimc101
    Free Member

Campagnolo ones are nice, not too cheap, but a cableset has everything in it needed.

garage-dweller

I have recently been told campy cables are slightly different thickness (1.2mm?) to Shimano so watch that. I think I MIGHT have the wrong one in mine and the indexing is shot to ****!

At least having gone through every other possibility for the bad shifting this cable is all that is left.

jkomo

Are the campy ones all the same?
    Ergo shift is what I keep seeing.

garage-dweller

Don’t know. It was the lbs who suggested cable thickness as an issue. Wiggle lists campag cables different. I guess all campy will be the same .

Aidan
    Free Member

Then ends are different between Shimano and Campag. I had Shimano road cables for Campag Mirage and had to file the end bobble to get it down to size. Once I’d done that, it worked fine.

More recently, I’ve bought 3rd-party Campag-spec cables.

jkomo

Right o
    I might try those flying snake ones or whatever they’re called.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recabling campy shifters, advice please.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts