Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reba Travel ?
  • sprocker
    Free Member

Mate has a set of Reba Race SL on his rock lobster but they only came with 80mm travel, is it possible to get some spacers to extend the travel and is it a simple job?

Thanks

GTDave
    Free Member

Fairly straight forward I believe.
    And I don’t think that you need to add spacers, but remove those that are already inside the fork, limiting the travel.
    I have a doc detailing the procedure somewhere, i’ll see if I can find it again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fairly easy if you’re confident and have a reasonably good tool kit. A full strip down of the air cartridge is required though, so you’ll need some suspension oil to lube it back up again too.

The document mentioned above – I might be the author! 🙂

Where abouts are you based?

simon1975

Yes it’s easy. Look at the manual on the SRAM website. 85/100/115mm are your options. You’ll need some oil to replace the baths for the seals, but no need to touch the damping oil.

http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8

GTDave
    Free Member

Hah, yes, you are the author Peter! 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve done exactly this! Using the Poddy guide. It’s pretty easy, if a little messy. Be sure to have something to catch the oil in, or it will be all over the floor!

The Poddy guide is excellent. Much clearer and easy to follow, than the SRAM manual.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good. Glad to see it’s still being passed around!
    😀

sprocker
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice looks pretty easy, he is struggling with 80mm on the peaks route we do !! (Based in Derby Peterpoddy)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

n.b. OEM Rebas soemtimes came with fixed travel

13thfloormonk

Also Rebas (although excellent in in my experience) seem a bit sensitive to pressures, and wether the negative chamber has been filled before the positive.

I would start by releasing all the air from +ve and -ve, checking the travel by gently depressing them until they stop, and if you get 100mm deflated, pump them back up, positive first.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

My Rebas were OEM. From Merlin, with my Rock Lobster 853 frame (£400 the both! Bargainous!). They had one spacer inside, indicating they were set to 100mm travel, with the other spacer in the placcy bag that came with the forks. I’d say it’s quite likely they are actually set at 100mm, not 80, but you’ll struggle to see more than 85-90mm travel out of them, as you have to almost hit the crown, to achive 100mm. Setting them to 115mm sees you actually getting over 100mm. At 80mm, you’d get 70mm travel, really. Only when you really bottom them out after a big hit, do they get the full amount.

PP told me this, and it’s true!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Only when you really bottom them out after a big hit, do they get the full amount.

It’s true. They will give full travel but the last 5mm or so is, IMO, only given in ’emergency situations’ ;). I’ve seen the dust marks pushed all the way to the crown, but not very often…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reba Travel ?’ is closed to new replies.