Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reba steerer tube too short. Can I get it replaced ?
  • I've bought a new frame with a longer head tube than the old one and now the steerer tube on my Rock Shox Reba forks is too short.
    It looks like it's pressed in to the crown from underneath so that it would be a fairly straightforward job to replace with the right kit.
    Does anyone offer a steerer tube replacement service ?

spock
    Free Member

im pretty sure its a one time process, looks like youll be after a new crow assembley

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get steerer extenders – heavy and a bit of a bodge but they do work – tho some folk on here are very dubious about using them.

Marzochhi can have the steerer replaced but I have not heard of any other forks having it done.

I did wonder if the crown would become distorted so that they couldn't guarantee the interference fit a second time.
    When you say crown assembly, is that just the crown and steerer, or are the stanchions permanently pressed in to the crown as well ?

I wondered about improvising an extension on the steerer too, I didn't realise they were available for sale.
    Any preload on the head bearings will be trying to pull the extension off, so it would have to be well attached. I think, at my weight and history of breaking stuff, I wouldn't want to chance it.

mboy
    Free Member

It's not so much a case of permanently "pressed" into place, as they are fitted cryogenically. That is to say the steerer is cooled in liquid nitrogen to cool it, whilst the crown will be warmed up to expand it. Bring the two together at different temperatures, they slot together, let them cool down and hey presto. A solid bond for life!

You need a new crown/steerer/upper assembly I'm afraid…

Or, you may be pleased to find out that Reba's seem to hold their value quite well on the 2nd hand market. You could probably sell your current forks on here or on ebay, and buy some of a similar condition with a longer steerer, and hopefully not be out of pocket by much, if anything at all.

spock
    Free Member

mboy has the best idea with selling them and getting some with a longer steerer, shouldn't lose much if any money if your patient

0091paddy
    Free Member

Yeah flog them on here. I had to do the same once. What length are they out of interest?

One pair is 175mm, the other is 180mm.
    Yes, I've got two pairs of useless 29er forks. 🙄

It's like this you see…
    I bought a second hand 29er frame (with a 4" head tube) and forks.
    I broke the frame.
    I bought another second hand 29er frame (with a 4" head tube) and swapped the forks, etc. over.
    I also bought some rigid forks to try out.
    I was offered another pair of 29er forks at a good price. As I was hoping to get the first frame back under warranty, I bought them with the intention of building up two 29ers.
    I broke the second frame.
    I bought a brand new frame from CRC which had a 4" head tube according to their website.
    It arrived with a 5" head tube. I checked the manufacturers website and they quote the actual 5".
    I fitted the rigid forks so I can use it, but I would like the option of swapping to suspension.

Duc
    Free Member

would a lower stack height headset give you enough room ?

druidh
    Free Member

The only fix is a new CSU. That will typically cost around £175, plus new bushings, plus fitting it all (if you're not competent/confident).

What's the lowest stack height headset available ?
    The frame's 127mm. I reckon I need 30mm in the stem for safety, so that's 157mm taken up, which leaves 23mm for the headset with my 180mm steerer.
    The Hope headset is 31mm.
    Are there any good quality headsets with a <24mm stack height ?
    Is there a good quality strong stem that only needs <23mm engagement with the steerer ?
    Or some compromise between the two ?

epicyclo

I have pressed the steerer out in the past. It was a steel steerer in alloy.

The stanchions were bolt in which helped as I heated the steerer and yoke as hot as possible in the oven so the alloy would expand away from the steel.

There was a lot of faff building a jig to do it.

I'm not sure I'd like to try it with a yoke that had stanchions that were bonded in.

You could probably yank it out with your truck winch 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

given that windwave will put in new pressed in steerers on zocchi forks I don't understand why other forks can't be done. they all look to be pressed in

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reba steerer tube too short. Can I get it replaced ?’ is closed to new replies.