• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reba spruce up
  • jimwah
    Free Member

Afternoon & happy friday to you. I’ve got a pair of second-hand 120mm RS Reba 2014 – however the action on them is really crap, there’s a load of stiction at the very start of the travel, to the point where I can’t set the sag, even at low pressure my static weight is not enough to overcome this resistance (I’m 12.5st). Once you get over this initial resistance, like hitting a decent bump, they seem to work OK; but low speed small stuff just buzzes straight up the bars.

If they were the same diameter I’d be tempted to swap the internals out of my XC32 into these.

Is it much of a job to have these apart and repair/service? Anything I should be looking out for?

shortyj15

Just service the Rebas.

jb72
    Free Member
    martinhutch

Have you set the pressure in line with the guide on the fork sticker? Always seems way too high on mine. I’m probably 11.5 stone kitted, and last time I checked it was about 75 psi. If I put in the 100+ they suggest, it would be very harsh.

This is the guide for servicing. Lower leg is a doddle, and worth trying that first to see if it cures your stiction.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/oVDKgRplvO912DyvrcJn1XkMa3v1wfEHbPCZAN67mec/mtime:1372788192/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen.0000000004216_rev_a_2013_reba_service_manual.pdf

thegreatape
    Free Member

I need to service a set of Rebas, so that link is very helpful. Where was the thing about getting rid of the remote bit on the fork leg? The poploc bust ages ago and I bodged it by keeping the fork unlocked using a bit of cable tightened up but it’s not ideal, would rather have the option to lock and unlock it on the fork leg.

jimwah
    Free Member

Brilliant links thanks very much, yeah I’m with you ape ^ much prefer lockout on the leg and I think I broke the lockout after a heavy hit last week anyway, I guess new damper unit would kill 2 birds with one stone there for me.

jimwah
    Free Member

Yeah I was setting up at 100psi and it’s hard to get through the travel! Will get some shed time this weekend and have another play with pressures.

martinhutch

I seem to remember that someone once posted a guide to converting poploc to manual by disconnecting the spring, so unless the moco unit is properly knackered when you take it apart (it may just need a service and refilling with fresh seals), there should be a way to do it without blowing 60 quid.

billyboy
    Free Member

I had three Reba 120 29er forks last year. They all performed very poorly. SRAM Tech failed to sort it, and so did I. I think the negative/positive air fails to balance out and it often leaks into the outer. The fork will feel ok on the ride directly after a service, but it very quickly lapses. I chanced upon someone who wanted a set. I told him what I thought of the fork but he still wanted it, so I sold them at a big loss …… and good riddance. No more Rockshox for me.

boxelder

Solo or dual air?

PJay
    Free Member

I seem to remember that someone once posted a guide to converting poploc to manual by disconnecting the spring, so unless the moco unit is properly knackered when you take it apart (it may just need a service and refilling with fresh seals), there should be a way to do it without blowing 60 quid.

I’m pretty sure that that was Peter Poddy.

As a ham fisted numpty I alway baulked at doing an internal service, although I did manage to get the lower legs of and do an oil service on a set of Dukes years ago.

I’ve heard that a lot of folk recommend TF Tuned services but I don’t know what that would cost you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reba spruce up’ is closed to new replies.