Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Reba negative air chamber not working
  • Gunz
    Free Member

It appears that when I pump up the neg’ air chamber on my Rebas all the air escapes as I take the pump off. Whilst the valve on the fork appears to spring back when i depress it I can only assume it’s not doing it quickly enough.
    Is there a way of flushing it out (maybe some dirt got in) or can it be taken apart for a clean out (I’m quite happy dismantling the fork down to constituent parts).

Thanks

13thfloormonk

Pretty certain that it’s just a schraeder valve, if you depressurise the chamber and turn the fork upside down it should be pretty easy to remove the valve core and clean or even replace it?

It’s normal for some air to hiss out as you disconnect the pump, ordinarily it will be hissing out of the pump though not the fork! (as the pump is now also pressurised to ~100psi) Re-attaching the pump to check the pressure doesn’t work as you are now releasing air from the fork into the pump, immediately lowering the pressure in the chamber 8)

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, it is a schraeder but I didn’t know you could remove the core on those as with presta.
    I’ve normally re-checked the air in the chamber by re-attaching the pump and whilst it does lose some air, in this case it’s entirely empty.

I’ll have a look at how to remove the core, thanks again.

LoCo
    Free Member

Valve core removal tool, is the answer.

You are pumping the positive air chamber up first? and then the neg? you need to do this or it messes up the pressure/volume setup & it all gets a bit confusing

The neg volume is a lot smaller so fills and empties a lot quicker.

Gunz
    Free Member

LoCo, yep I’m doing the pos’ chamber first. When I used to take the pump off the chamber it normally released about 15 psi so I would account for this when setting the pressure; now it’s just flat. It makes a real difference to the fork (as I’d hope really) it feels like the worst stiction possible.
    I’ll get stuck into that core tonight.

pjt201
    Free Member

it normally released about 15 psi so I would account for this when setting the pressure

It doesn’t lose 15psi when taking the put off – the 15 psi is lost when reattaching the pump to check the pressure as it’s equalising the pressure in the pump and the -ve chamber. The issue is that the -ve chamber is so similar in volume to the pump this is noticeable, when you’re checking the pressure in a tyre this also happens, but the volume of the tyre is so much greater than that of the pump in this case the pressure drop is negligible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Reba negative air chamber not working’ is closed to new replies.