Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • reba compression knob?
  • sefton
    Free Member

got a new bike – specialized fuse pro – got a reba 120 on it.

on the right side of the fork is a compression blue knob. if I turn it onto lock I still get the same amount of travel but it makes a hissing noise when compressed?

whats the crac? is this the lock out / blow out – does it need more pressure if so?

martinhutch

Nope, should be locked except for a tiny amount of travel. Sounds like a dodgy seal or too little oil in the compression damper.

Warranty job probably.

sefton
    Free Member

is that all it does – locks out the fork? and the settings between fully open and locked is the blow out?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

Depends on the damper you have.

If its a basic RL damper, then you have Rebound adjust and Lockout. The lockout is either open or closed, I don’t think you can use it as a low speed compression adjuster. There is also no adjust for the blow out. The blow out is the force required to open up the compression circuit when locked out.

The RLT damper adds Threshold which is adjustment of the blow out force. This is usually a gold / silver dial on top of the blue Lockout / low speed adjuster. I think the RLT also allows low speed compression adjust from open to lockout.

sefton
    Free Member

its this fork :RockShox Reba RC3 650+ fork for 120mm

jairaj

The RCT3 damper has Rebound adjust, Compression adjust and a 3 stage lockout.

The compression adjust is low speed adjust which is independent of the lock out.

The lock out has three modes open, mid and lock.

I can’t remember if the lockout has an adjustable threshold or not? I think the low speed adjuster kinda works as the threshold adjuster too ie when low comp damping is used it equates to a lower threshold when locked out.

Make sure the blue dial is all the way round on lockout and not on mid setting. Its not a absolute hard lockout but it should be a very noticeable difference in the fork feel, almost locked out even on the lowest threshold setting.

If there is no significant difference between open and lock then it’s possible that the damper is broken.

sefton
    Free Member

looked at them last night – I can feel 3 little ‘click’ when turning the knob from on to off. however it doesn’t lock them out one bit. just makes a ‘whooshing’ noise if locked and I compress the forks. just e-mailed the place I bought them from

sefton
    Free Member

going to have to send the fork back then it will be sent to Sram…bummer.

only been on it twice and now could be without it for god knows how long.

what can I do?

tillydog
    Free Member

You could check if this is the cause:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/3-rides-rock-shox-revelation-lockout-not-working-817103.html#post10333296

(You can see the spring looped under the shim slightly to the right of centre.)

This was the cause of the lockout* failing on my RCT3 Blutos after 3 or 4 rides. Very easy fix: just unscrew the damper and lift it part way out. Run your fingernail around the spring and if you hear it click into place above the shim, you’ve done it. Mine has been fine since (>12 months).

Worth a careful look before sending them off, I would say.

(*The lockout is like a very stiff compression damper, rather than a full lockout, but very, very noticeable. The little silver knob on top of the blue one adjusts the compression damping in the middle position of the blue knob)

sefton
    Free Member

hmmm…basically bought a new bike with faulty fork. and just being offered a repair. its like buying a refurbished fork. not happy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘reba compression knob?’ is closed to new replies.