Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reba and Revelation….. Oils, greases, etc. required for basic service ??
  • stanley

Hi there,
    Can anybody put me right on this ?
    I want to do a basic service on the above two sets of my forks. So that is to remove the lowers, clean them up, check, relube and rebuild.
    I've seen an on-line guide. This states that I need Judy Butter for the seals, Red Rum oil for the foam wipers and fork oil for adding to the lowers.

Do I really need to use Judy Butter and Red Rum ??

Could I use normal bike grease on the seals (just a smear) instead of the Judy Butter ?
    Could I use fork oil on the foam rings instead of the Red Rum ?

I already have fork oil, so no problem there ?

And where to buy a suitable syringe ?

Many thanks

stumpyjon

I just seviced my REBAs including the motion control. Only needed 5wt and 15wt fork oil. My service instructions said to use 15wt oil on the foam wipers. It's worth replacing the seals as well, they can swell, my feel a lot more responsive now. Downside is the service kits come to about £ 40 and contain a lot of stuff you don't need for an avergae service unless you've broken something.

nuke

For a basic service the kit isn't necessary unless there is something wrong with the fork imo. As stumpy said, just need th 5wt and 15wt fork oils plus I got some Rock N Roll Super Slick for the seals.

woodsman
    Free Member

I used manitou M-prep grease on the seals fwiw.

Does anyone have an online link to full service of Rev Coils. I've done the lowers but need some detail, oil capacities etc for a full sevice.

Cheers

nuke

Does anyone have an online link to full service of Rev Coils

I've got an 80 odd page 2009 service guide PDF I could email you? It's about 6.5Mb though.

:edit: Although mine doesn't look like it varies greatly from the ones here…

http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/tech_manuals.php

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Judy butter is fork grease, which isn't the same as normal luthium/moly grease you use generaly. Its specificaly designed not to mix with oil and to have very low friction.

15wt will do for the lot if your on a budget, but a little tub of judy butter will last years/indefinately as you only need a little. And its not exactly a fortune. You could probably get something similar from a motorbike shop or one of the motorsport supplier catalogues.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I used manitou M-prep grease on the seals fwiw.

Tim Flooks advised against using M prep, he said it's too sticky he recommended a really slick grease, slick Honey was one he mentioned and that is what I now use.

simon1975

Am I going to die if I used some random gearbox oil in the legs (for the wipers) last time I opened my Reba up?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Am I going to die if I used some random gearbox oil in the legs (for the wipers) last time I opened my Reba up?

No, but you really should have more respect for your (expensive) equipment.

glenh
    Free Member

Personally I use 15wt fully synthetic engine oil in the lowers of all my semi-bath forks.

It's actually designed for lubricating sliding parts, unlike fork oil which is for shoving through holes (dampers).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You could probably get away with most oils.

A lot of motorbikes recomend various engine oils, some even recomend transmision oil. I can see some benifits to ep90 as a lubricant in the lowers as its designed to stay put at high speed and pressure which is why it goes all stingy in your hands.

But for the sake of £5 for some 15wt fork oil and £5 for some fork grease, its not worth it.

And fork oil is designed ot lubricate, it'd be pretty pants if it didn't as there must be 10's of moving parts in a fork.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used Prep-M once in error, when I forgot I had some slick fork grease on the shelf. I can confirm that it is indeed rather stickier. It won't damage your fork, although it will damage your forks performance until its replaced/worn away.

I'm another fully synthetic motor oil user in the semi-bath. Been using it for at least 4 years now. Its smoother than using fork damping oil IMO.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

stanley – i am just outside hope in the peaks. I have 5 and 15wt rock oil (for sus forks) that you can have for nowt if you want it. About £15 worth. Few bottles of beer would be nice 🙂

email in profile

retro83
    Free Member

Tim Flooks advised against using M prep, he said it's too sticky he recommended a really slick grease, slick Honey was one he mentioned and that is what I now use.

So not the RSP stuff they sell then? That seems really good FWIW

stanley

Thanks for the replies.
    Will order some Rock n Roll Super Slick grease and use fork oil rather than the Red Rum stuff.

GeeWavetree, thanks for the offer, but I already have the fork oil.
    Thanks for the seatpost too. Used it in a new bike build that I have almost finished. It's the one second hand part that I've used. Was unsure as to wether I needed a layback or straight….. so thought I'd try the layback first ! Seems about right.
    Pics to follow soon 🙂
    Off work and living in Holmfirth, so cycling in the Peak quite a bit at the moment. May pump into you one day !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reba and Revelation….. Oils, greases, etc. required for basic service ??’ is closed to new replies.