Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reassure me before I commit to a custom tune.
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve got a M/M tuned Fox RP23 that I bought from CRC and fitted to my Orange Five.
    The sag is set to 25%, and I can pretty much (about 2 mm from full travel) bottom out just by jumping up and down while on the bike.

Is this normal? (I could do it on my Patriot 66 too)

I’ve recently been wondering that it may be worth custom tuning it, after a few nasty bottom outs. For example, on the biggest drop on Surface to Air it completely bottoms out quite violently and I ended up cutting my leg open after losing my pedal on landing. I thought this might be normal procedure with big drops, but having seen a few others do it, I’m not so sure.

Would I be right in thinking the Orange Five has an increasing leverage ratio (The force applied to the shock increases at an increasing rate as the rear wheel progresses through the travel)?. If so this could explain it, and it could be sorted with a decent custom tune on my shock? (I’m loathe to spend £*%& on a custom tune if I don’t need it)

Any advice? Does it sounds like a custom tune is needed? Should I go to MOJO, TFtuned or Loco?

Many thanks

mcnultycop

I had a custom tune on my RP2 Boost Valve. I’m a big unit so was getting through the travel much too easily. Mojo sorted it for me and I now have a load more pedal platform as well as a much better suspension feel. A lot of money but transformed the ride.

06awjudd
    Free Member

I’m a big unit so was getting through the travel much too easily

What sort of stuff were you bottoming out on?

carlos
    Free Member

Had my RP23 HV rear shock Pushed by TFTuned and it totally transformed the feel of the bike.

Bit of background – set pressure to get the right sag and it just blew through pretty much everything. Increase pressure to stop it blowing through everything and you lost all small bump compliance. Didn’t have this problem on my previous Heckler (standard size air can on the Rp23) so was a bit miffed.

Filed out the form, sent it off, job done. 🙂

Imo its worth it, maybe not on every bike/set up, but if you’ve tried different settings etc and know what you want and still not getting it, then at least phone them and talk through your issues and what you want/expect.

Edit – 90kg fully loaded and ready to ride

GaryBanham
    Free Member

I had a push tune and small volume can fitted on my nomad and it was the best money I’ve spent on my bike in a while.

LoCo
    Free Member

Is it a high volume air can? If so try it with a medium size air volume spacer before booking it for a tune as this makes them a lot better on the five.

06awjudd
    Free Member

@Loco Yeah it is, I’ll have a look at doing that, thanks!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Had my very ageing Monarch sorted out by James @ Jtech in Telford/Oswestry as recommended by Loco as he was too busy recently.

Exactly same symptoms as you and I’m only 10.5stone so the weight doesn’t make a difference, if the tune is wrong then it wants sorting, no questions.

Either of the ones you say or Jtech, they all do very much the same job. I know shelling out £200+ for forks n shock service, custom valving etc seems mad but my Blur LT2 is now the best bike in the world again!!!

06awjudd
    Free Member

Just ordered a spacer kit. I’ll fit the Medium spacer and see how the shock feels.

At £26 seems like a better option then a custom tune to be honest.

If it still feels rubbish, I’ll get it custom tuned.

LoCo
    Free Member

Blimey, we do them at £18.20, need to look at our margins!

matther01
    Free Member

Trying to get a ‘push’ kit for my DRCV from TFTuned…but all out at the mo.

I’m not that heavy but seem to bottom out quite a lot. Tried increasing the pressure like you but it ended up as harsh as a HT!

06awjudd
    Free Member

Blimey, we do them at £18.20, need to look at our margins!

Sorry Loco! Bloody hell, I feel like an idiot!!!! I saw that just after I bought them from Mojo. Don’t know why I assumed Mojo were exclusive stockists. 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reassure me before I commit to a custom tune.’ is closed to new replies.