• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Reasons to ride…
  • faustus

There are lots of inspiring bike blogs out there, that help get us riding and fuel dreams of adventures on our bikes. I was sent this link https://www.justgiving.com/ChrisBell-2014/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=ChrisBell-2014&utm_campaign=pfp-share
    to a journey being undertaken by Chris Bell from west Wales. I had seen him a couple of times on his bike during my years in Lampeter, sporting his home-engineered oval chainrings. It transpires that Chris is my current boss’ uncle, and she has told me more about his endeavours.

For the past 10 years, he has been battling with prostate cancer. He has fought it by riding his bike all over Europe for various charities, against the medical odds. I’ve heard about his luggage being stolen along with his essential medication, but mostly I hear about his extraordinary resilience, and his riding.

I’m not normally the kind of person who is that moved to give to charity, but his story has moved me. As a fellow cyclist it is easy to imagine yourself in a similar position, and I know there are other STWers in similar predicaments with their own stories and inspirations, who will empathise. His blog is simple, with few photos, but it has imprinted on me the motivation to make rides happen – make riding and all the enjoyment that goes with it, happen.

With the clocks about to go back to Grotty Miserable Time, this will stay with me. I hope this likewise inspires other bikers to keep riding, and if you feel moved too, to donate.

Thank you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Reasons to ride…’ is closed to new replies.