Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reasonably quiet easyish routes to do with a beginer plus dog near Glasgow?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

As above really mate is taking his girlfriend and dog out for a spin tomorrow and is looking for a good route to introduce the 2 of them to mountain biking. Any ideas?

Also does anywhere do demo or bike hire on a Sunday? He’s not an organised person!

crouisk
    Free Member

Mugdock or chateleraut

Albanach
    Free Member

Mugdock is bound to be heaving tomorrow so that’s probably out and they fancied heading out a bt further. Arrochar has been mentioned…

PROLINE85
    Free Member

The Glen Loin trail at Arrochar is great fun, however the first half is all up hill (about 700 feet), and the rest is downhill, and there’s loose rock sections, and then the rollercoaster with loads of steep chutes with more rocks, so wouldn’t recommend for a beginner!

Carron Valley’s probably a good choice if they go early enough and avoid the crowds.

If it’s a short spin, they could always go round Pollock Park mtb course a few times, and take in some of the quieter footpaths, and a bit of off piste stuff.

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers PROLINE he has done the trail before in Arrochar – I don’t think they would mind if there was a bit of hike a bike and they would prefer to get out of Glasgow given the potential good weather.

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers Crouisk never heard of chateleraut

drslow
    Free Member

Avoid Chatelherault for a real cycle unless you go very early. Very popular with walkers and the trails can be narrow. It’s down by Hamilton / Larkhall way, off junction 6 of the M74. If its a ‘get the misses into cycling thing’ then it’s a good option as there’s a wee cafe, but go early.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Arrochar/Glen Loin is an absolute joy in the good weather, I live close by and hit a couple of times a month. Took my wife up there for her first visit last week and she managed to tough out the 5 mile uphill and she is new to mountain biking. As for the drovers trail at Glen Loin she cycled some and walked the techy bits but over all she thought it was great. If you included a diversion up to Sloy Dam, worth it for the view alone, then the whole run is about 14.5 miles, take out the Dam and its just over 11. Mind and shove 90pence in the bastard parking meter in the car park, I forgot a couple of months ago and it cost me £42 for the privilege…..my fault 🙁

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

The Kilpatricks? Bound to be a cracking view from the top of the Humphrey road tomorrow. Nothing too tricky up there either.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Few routes around Aberfoyle and Loch Ard area are ideal for beginners 🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

More details if possible doubledunter?

rj
    Free Member

Carron Valley’s still shut (according to the FCS website). If they fancy a bit of a drive, Mabie might be an option.

moonsaballoon

The ardgartan peninsula loop is good . Just up the road from glen loin , fire road up to the dukes pass , easyish singletrack down to lochgoilhead then fireroad up the rest and be thankful and back down to the car . Its 20 miles but the fireroads are pretty hardpacked so easy going and some of the views are top class .
    I am pretty sure tiso in glasgow does bike hire and is open on a sunday

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reasonably quiet easyish routes to do with a beginer plus dog near Glasgow?’ is closed to new replies.