Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reasonable warranty repair time?
  • Kieran

Story so far; I purchased a Fox RP2 rear shock thorugh a well known retailer (not going to name and shame at this point) around 4 months ago, six weeks ago whilst on the top of a mountain the rebound and pro pedal lever suddenly stuck and left the rear shock almost locked out.

Not wanting to ride the bike with it like that for fear of further damageing the shock i decided to try to repair it on the trailside. Trying to free the lever, i loosened the grub screws only to have both levers fall out! However I found that the reason for the problem was that the small ball bearing had fallen into the bottom of the shock jamming closed the rebound circuit.

Now I readily aditted this to the retailer I purchased the shock from but said I was pretty dissapointed to have had to try to repair a three month old shock at the trailside.

They agreed to take the shock back and get it reapired under warrenty.

This was four weeks ago! I still don’t have my shock back and the retailer is being very slow replying to emails. I had an email over two weeks ago saying they hoped the shock would be back the following week, but nothing since.

Is this acceptable? I havent got annoyed with them yet, but I’ve now missed four weeks of riding and had to borrow a bike for another trip to the lakes, I have a trip to CYB planned for next weekend and I dont want to have to hire yet another bike.

Should I just be happy that its going to be repaired under warranty, if so how long should I wait?

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

4 weeks isn’t great, but hardly the end of the world. A good shop would have tried to find a temporary replaecment for you (not always easy given the variety available though.)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have opened it up at the trailside. That weakens your claim

Repair replace or refund its your choice under sale of goods act. I would tell tehm you want it returned ina week or you will have your money back

if things are being repaired under SOGA their is a need for it to take a reasonable time – its not defined but a month is pushin it IMO

u1travi0let
    Free Member

your bike shop should of sent it off to Mojo to be repaired, Mojo are normaly realy good in these matters, maybe your shop forgot to send it off for a week or so?
    don’t email them again, phone them or go in as your get a better answer

here’s mojo’s details if its any help:

http://www.mojo.co.uk/contact.html

plecostomus
    Free Member

The shock would have gone to mojo for repair there turn around time at the moment is 3 days, trying to fix it trailside shouldn’t have been a problem All you did was remove a lever, 4 weeks is thaking the pi$$. go in to the bike shop direct, or speak to mojo to see if they actually have the shock, what shop is it your dealing with? From somebody who works in the industry the sevice you have recieved is pretty poor!

4ndyB
    Free Member

One of our customers has a RS fork being repaired under warranty, he will have been without the fork for 4 weeks by the time Fisher have the parts in stock to repair it & have returned it to us.

We have fitted another fork to his bike for the time being.

However, this does mean that we will have used a brand new fork which will be second hand when returned to us, but it keeps the customer happy.

It is not always the retailers fault that warranty repairs take as long as they sometimes do.

Kieran

So how much longer should I give them? I did consider just sending my shock to mojo and paying for the repair and custom tuning whilst it was there, wish I had now as Mojo quoted me a 2 day turn around when I spoke to them.

Unfortunatly, its an online retailer, so getting hold of them over the weekend is going to be tricky.

IA

Was the shock brand new UK stock, or was it intended for the OEM market? (i.e. would mojo be handling it as a warranty case)

hora
    Free Member

Unless it was impeding you from getting home on the day you shouldn’t have opened it up at the trailside.

I think on this one you’ll have to wait.

In general a warranty item- no one should wait 4 weeks. Its a customer service area to shine for a brand.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Orangista – Member

One of our customers has a RS fork being repaired under warranty, he will have been without the fork for 4 weeks by the time Fisher have the parts in stock to repair it & have returned it to us.

We have fitted another fork to his bike for the time being.

However, this does mean that we will have used a brand new fork which will be second hand when returned to us, but it keeps the customer happy.

It is not always the retailers fault that warranty repairs take as long as they sometimes d

This is good customer service but why not replace the fork then have and then get your money back from the importers? Or will the importers not refund you for replacements under SOGA?

It would have cost you less

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kieran – Member

So how much longer should I give them?

I would give them a week and tell them so – that after a week you will want it replaced or a refund as is your right under SOGA

4ndyB
    Free Member

TJ The fork we used as a replacement was of a lower spec as we did not have the exact fork model in stock, we hardly stock any forks as very few customers buy new forks from us, they nearly shyte themselves when you say that a fork costs +£200 ‘OMG you could buy a new bike for that’ etc…

It’s the 1st time we’ve had to use our stock in this way & haven’t had time to ask Fishers for a refund, the forks we used were OE from another bike that has been broken up for parts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough orangista.

its nice to hear of a shop that takes customer service seriously. sounds like it won’t really have cost you a lot but its a shame it cost you anything to do the right thing by your customers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reasonable warranty repair time?’ is closed to new replies.