Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reasonable 2nd hand XC fork up to £50??
  • Hallsy
    Free Member

Built up a cheapish bike for the other half (based around an '06 Marin Palisades Trail frame) and she seems to like it.

Trouble is, bundled with the frame & bits I bought was a Suntour fork.

Good enough to get her started I thought, but then I remembered how bad they are!! It really is like a pogo stick!!

So, it's in my mind to replace it, for something 100mm, light(ish), cheap that actually has some damping & rebound!!

Don't really want to spend too much as not sure how much she'll end up using it yet, so was thinking about some RS Tora's.

Have read they can be a little heavy though, any older forks worth looking at as well? MX Comps? Marathons?

warpcow
    Free Member

Pretty much any fork you'll get for that price will be 'heavy' by conventional standards. You mostly need to concentrate on function and Toras or Marz. MX are very good for the money. Wiggle were selling brand new (OEM) Marz. for about £50 a few months back, so finding some second hand in your price range shouldn't be hard.

richcc
    Free Member

I've a pair of pretty decent Magura Phaons you could have for £60 posted. Can wind travel down to 100mm

Hallsy
    Free Member

Warpcow – yeah, I guess. I don't suppose the suntour are too light really, although they should be as I think they only have springs & elastomer inside them!! I'll take a look on Merlin.

Rich – thanks for the offer, but I'm not in too much of a hurry to get any just yet. We'll see how her riding progresses over next couple of weeks!! I'll take a look at them though.

Thinking about it, if weight will be a given, maybe I should switch my '02 Marz Z1 Wedge across and adjust them to 110mm. Although, might be a bit long for that frame? Hopefully be getting some Rev's for my bike soon 🙂

stevemorg2

are the phaeons still available?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I have a set of SID hydra air forks in red. They are were bought new in 2004. In full working order, IS and v-brake mounts.

Yours for £35 posted or make my an offer. Can send pics on request.

One small mark on the lowers, but stanchions are in fine fettle.

stevemorg2

Dirtynap – pics please?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have a Marzocchi Marathon SL you can have for £50? 85mm travel, but about the same a-c as most 100mm travel forks. Really nice light fork.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reasonable 2nd hand XC fork up to £50??’ is closed to new replies.