Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reasonable ££ 24 hole rear disc hub for son's bike – moon on stick content?
  • Rich_s

Been mooting the possibility of replacing the 36 spoke rear on my eldest’s new to him bike.

I’ve found a 24h rim which seems suitable, but wondering what options anyone can think of wrt the hub.

It’s for a 24incher so he’s only going to have it for a couple of years hence not looking to break the bank. From research so far I think hope do them, but not superstar. Other options are fantastically priced so I’m not keen!

Anyone know of anything I’ve missed in my research?

Alternatively, anyone have a wheel (any size) or hub for sale?!?

nickjb
    Free Member

Just lace the rim onto the existing 36 hole hub, not too tricky. That said, why? Have you been reading the ultimate weight weenie thread? 😀

Rich_s

Yes I have! Gonna get the lathe warmed up and take a few thou off his handlebars :winkgrin:

Hub’s not great – can easily lose 200g off it if I can find one…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Drill it.

Or just use half the spokes – think of the aero!

timber

Butcher a Crossmax for it’s hub, fairly sure some of the variants are 24h.

Rich_s

Oooo good shout timber!

Any other ideas folks?

Rich_s

Should have said – the existing hub is a freewheel so not intending to keep it!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Lots of Novatec options about. Get something like this and sell it on afterwards?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-6pawl-54T-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Rear-Hub-24H-Shimano-11-Speed-Black-2015-/141961669699

Rich_s

Maybe my google-fu is weak?!? I was sure I’d trawled through ebay for long enough to find one of those, to no avail…

Thanks everyone.

Anyone got one for sale? Wanted ad will follow…

poah
    Free Member

what is so special about the 24 hole rim?

Rich_s

Nowt massive – just got a fewer number of holes!

BearBack
    Free Member

2 cross paired spokes build?
    This lets you use 32h hubs/rims

ratherbeintobago

I think I’ve got an OEM Cannondale 24h wheel in the loft – would need to get it out and see what nick it’s in. I think it’s a Formula hub.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@BearBack *like*

amedias
    Free Member

Rim or disc?

I might have a 24h, could be 28 I’ll check, DT 240 based bontrager hub in the loft that might work for you if it’s rim brakes

welshfarmer

I think the hub on my Spez Roval Traversee rear is 24 spoke. It is a DT swiss version. Was going to strip it out as the rim is buckled and all the alloy nipples are corroded. Will go count them if it might be of interest. It is 142/12 x 6 bolt disc but all adaptors are available I beleive

EDIT: My bad. It is indeed 24 spokes, BUT on the front hub. The rear is 28 spoked.And they are straightpull too just to add insult to injury! Ah well, I will keep my own eyes open and rebuild them into a new pair of rims one day

Rich_s

Loving your work there Bearback!

Thanks amedias but it’s disc I’m looking for.

Thanks for looking welshfarmer

Tobago – yep, interested. If you want to dig it out and see what you think just drop me a line. Email in profile.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reasonable ££ 24 hole rear disc hub for son's bike – moon on stick content?’ is closed to new replies.