Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rearward or 360 spinny car seats (for a 14 month old) in a coupe??!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So..

We’ve been coping ok with mini RRR in a baby seat that clicks onto an isofix base, in our coupe. However, now that the Sproglet is approaching 14 months he’s very much in need of a new seat.

Ideally we’d like to keep him rearward facing for as long as possible but in our car I can only see this being vaguely possible in a 360 degree spinny seat.

We will no doubt have to change the car at some point but in the meantime has anyone any experience of this/hints/tips/recommendations?
    Ta

ourmaninthenorth

Have you looked at the Cybex rear facing seat. Might that fit him/your car? Available in Mothercare, so easy to try out.

(Miss North has a Cybex forward facing seat, which seems to be comfortable and secure.)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I think we may have tried that one already when we had a brief look. Whatever it was we tried wouldn’t spin properly and the staff refused to help fit it for “legal reasons” which was handy :-/

cookeaa

Time to give up, and accept the inevitable…

*other shit boxes are available…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

My eyes. MY EYYYYESSS

I did wonder how many posts it would take to point out the inevitable ..

cookeaa

Ain’t she a Beut’… 😉

willej

ERF (extended rear facing) seats need a lot of leg room in the back. We’ve got a Besafe iZi Kid for our daughter and when I put it in our Focus estate the front passenger seat had to be one click back from fully forward, meaning next to no leg room. I’ve since changed to a Mondeo, which is much more suitable!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Get the Cybex Aton. An excellent seat with very good safety ratings and very easy to use.

I think we may have tried that one already when we had a brief look. Whatever it was we tried wouldn’t spin properly and the staff refused to help fit it for “legal reasons” which was handy :-/

If it was the Cybex you were looking at then I would strongly suggest going somewhere else.
    a. It does spin properly, it goes a full 90 degrees from rearwards for getting out. To spin the full 180 degrees you simply need to tuck the straps away first as it uses straps when sitting rearwards and an impact bar when forward facing.

b. Go to a proper car seat shop, decent ones will help with fitting and have staff specifically trained to do so. Our local Mamas & Papas did so when we bought the Cybex but I also got fitting session at our local John Lewis and local independent to try different seats. If they are unwilling to do a fitting, I personally wouldn’t be willing to trust them to buy seats from!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Actually, just re-read this. Is the problem with the cybex that you need it to rotate a full 180 degrees as you don’t have rear seats? If so then you are right, it might not be ideal, though we did use ours in our old car and it was still useful in that you could rotate towards the centre then get the wee one out from the opposite side of the car, if that makes sense?

Point stands about the shop though, go somewhere that has trained staff who will take the time to help with fitting, don’t stand for any rubbish about no insurance.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well, our car has rear seats but no rear doors. As such we need to be able to spin the seat a full 180 degrees to get the boy rearward facing.

I wish I could remember which model we tried. Also, the cybex site doesnt list our car as compatible even though very similar cars are. I’ve emailed them for clarification .

As for where to try it – we’re limited to baby’s r us (who don’t sell it), mothercare who I think were rubbish or a Halfords with next to nothing of use. I might investigate john Lewis although it’s a bit of a drive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rearward or 360 spinny car seats (for a 14 month old) in a coupe??!’ is closed to new replies.