Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Rearview Radar – Gimmick or must have accessory?
  • Dibbs
    Free Member

I imagine that I would just ignore it most of the time.

Depends where you ride, most of my road riding is on country roads, so it’s nice to have some warning, if I was in town more I suspect I would get used to it going off all the time.
    I do find I tend to check the Edge screen now before I look over my shoulder.

mrblobby
    Free Member

£138 is hardly £200+

Not factoring in the upgrade from 810 to 820 😉

Dibbs, pretty much what DCR said…

What Varia does do VERY WELL is remind you when you’re out in the middle of nowhere with infrequent traffic and deep into exhaustion, that a car is about to approach – snapping you back to reality.

legend
    Free Member

so it’s nice to have some warning

If you’re just riding along, what do you do with that warning? This is the bit I still don’t get, as it’s not like you are bracing for impact or moving out of the way every time?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Legend, that was my initial thought (pretty much what I said on the first page!)

legend
    Free Member

Was just hoping to finally understand after 10 months 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just for those of a nervous disposition 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suppose like at junctions, looking over your shoulder and making eye contact might humanise you a bit and get a bit more space?

matt_outandabout

It needs a laser, to flash a freaking huge hologram of this if a car gets too close….

Dibbs
    Free Member

Not factoring in the upgrade from 810 to 820

I works fine with the 810 thanks. 🙄

Screen shot from my 820 (810 is similar), Amber sidebars indicate vehicle approaching, (the sidebars are Red if the vehicle is approaching fast) 3 dots indicate 3 vehicles (they move to the top as they get closer), the sidebars turn Green and then disappear after all vehicles have passed.

Of course the other thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that the taillight intensity changes (gets brighter) when a vehicle is detected.

wiggles
    Free Member

I always thought the same as most of you, you know a car is coming, great… But what do you do with at info?

Same as the rear lights with a camera,w hat do they help with?
    so your family has footage of your death when a lorry flattens you from behind?

tjagain

Proper observation will let you know if a car is coming up behind you – and yes you can take action. ride in primary you are more likely to be seen and that gives you somewhere to go if a car does not give you room.

I have only been surprised by cars when I have not been paying attention.

oldnpastit

Of course the other thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that the taillight intensity changes (gets brighter) when a vehicle is detected.

Could you instead hook it up to a small rear-pointing Nerf gun, strapped to the back of the bike?

twisty

£138 is hardly £200+

Ah well the op said £240. I suspect it would cost me more anyway as i doubt it would integrate well with my 310XT.

antigee

suspect the UK isn’t really the target market – here in Aus’ many rural roads have dirt(gravel) or poorly sealed(surfaced) rough shoulders and not a lot of traffic – some drivers will expect cyclists to move over out of “their” lane and into the crap and dirt, they will approach from behind without slowing or attempting a proper overtake – no not legally required to move over but 2tonnes of fast moving genetic stupidity usually wins – suspect a lot of rural US is the same

mrblobby
    Free Member

810 comparability must be a fairly recent thing. Don’t think that was the case when it came out. Or maybe I’m thinking of the varia vision thing.

Do agree to a certain extent with the “proper observation” thing, but who’s really always aware of what’s behind them.

Anyway all delivered and fitted, shall give it a go next time I’m out.

of you, you know a car is coming, great… But what do you do with at info?

Same as you would if you’d looked behind and saw there was a car coming up behind you. You might choose to change your position on the road (give them room to pass or take primary for example.) This just gives you a more consistent and advanced warning.

mrblobby
    Free Member

First ride with it last night, a late evening training ride up and down a fairly quick A road. And got to say I’m impressed (and not just because I’ve spent my hard earned cash on it, I’d say if it was rubbish!) It picks up cars behind you long before you’d be aware they are there and was spot on with the number of vehicles and the speed they’re approaching. The view on the garmin is really easy to see and comprehend with a quick glance, with a little beep to let you know it’s picked something up. Just works really well. Need to try it on some quiet B roads now to see how well it works there.

As for how useful it is, personally I really liked having the extra information. Just gives you more information earlier to help with planning ahead and I was always aware of what was going on behind me (and long before it was actually behind me too.) I’d definitely recommend trying one out if you get the chance.

gray

Hmm, interesting. I think that’s one expensive purchase for which I might get spousal support!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cost is an interesting one as there’s nothing really to compare it to. I guess a normal rear light and a bar or helmet mounted mirror would be a lot cheaper though!

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Rearview Radar – Gimmick or must have accessory?’ is closed to new replies.