Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear winter tyre recomendations….
  • aldo56
    Free Member

Another tyre thread!? YES! JUST WHAT WE NEED!

I’m currently running a Mary up front and a worn out Hans Dampf on the rear. The Damf has always been crap in slop and i’m looking for more grip, better mud shedding and more control on steeper, sloppy trails. Usually ride at Aberfoyle, Dunoon, Caberston etc.

Recomendations? I’ve been eying up an DHR II but the cost is putting me off.

Requirements: 27.5, 2.3ish wide, grippy as, good in mud, not overly bothered about rolling resistance, LESS THAN £35?

This will be ridden on a HT if that makes any difference.

fifeandy
    Free Member

not overly bothered about rolling resistance

Another Mary?

andybrad

interesting.

my thinking is a mary or a shorty

chakaping
    Free Member

Just got a WTB Vigilante tough/fast for the back of my 29er.

Think it comes in 650b as well.

For ref: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wtb-vigilante-as-rear-tyre

ogden
    Free Member

I run Mary/Hans in the summer and I’ve just put a Mary on the back for the slop

fr0sty125
    Free Member

After riding Dunoon in the summer I would say something with lots of grip for all those roots maybe the e13 race tyre at the front?

aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I’ve got a super gravity Mary lying in the cupboard. Might stick that up front, put the trail star Mary on the back and embrace the drag!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m gonna throw another Schwalbe tyre into the mix-the Fat Albert Rear is designed for softer conditions.I ran 2 Front versions on my hardtail and had fun on them through last winter,I haven’t tried the rear (as I haven’t got a lot of steep descending where you need more braking traction where I am),but it looks the part and £29 at Merlin .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use a pair of Specialized Purgatory’s on my 29er. Not an out and out mud tyre, but equally not as shit on dry trails as a mud tyre.

The problem with mud tyres/spikes, is unless you’re on a DH track or 24h XC race it’s unlikely that more than a small percentage of the ride is actually in the sort of mud they work best in. You want something that works well on wet and soft trails without trying to kill you on the occasional actually muddy bit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear winter tyre recomendations….’ is closed to new replies.