Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear Wheel Wobble?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is it normal to have a bit of side to side wobble action when riding on the rear wheel? i had the same issue with xt hubs as pro2 hubs, difference being the xt cones were loose sometimes…pro2’s are solid and there is no play side to side pulling at the wheel, just when spinning for riding you can see from looking down its looks like its wobbling a fair bit? wheels were built by a great wheel builder and used locking spokes or something so he finds it odd its buckled or such like? its not a masssssive masssssive wobble but it defintely doesnt run true and straight whilst spinning? whats the norm for a bit of wobble? also running tubeless and yes the tyre is seated correctly and parrallel with the line all the way round the tyre so not a tyre issue

any idea you guys?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s buckled, whether the builder is surprised or not!

Needs trued up, that said, if it’s not rubbing anything then it may not cause any problems to run it for a bit.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s buckled.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ok thanks guys, thats cool to know, seems odd as it was the same on xt hubs, then had rebuit again on new pro2 hubs and still the same sort of wobble? front wheel absolutly fine……but if general consensus is buckle then ill get it looked at for sure! 🙂 thank you guys!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

also as its not catching on anything what so ever, other than i guess it may be rubbing slightly off centre on the brake pads….

what if i was to leave it, will it cause any long term damage to hub/spokes etc??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not the tyre is it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

also as its not catching on anything what so ever, other than i guess it may be rubbing slightly off centre on the brake pads….

what if i was to leave it, will it cause any long term damage to hub/spokes etc??

You are using rim brakes? If so then it is likely to be rubbing, may wear pads a bir (check the tyre is not rubbing the pads – they will cut through it).

Otherwise it’s unlikely to cause any damage.

devs
    Free Member

Hold a pen or your finger against the frame and almost touching the rim whilst you spin it. You’ll be able to tell if the rim isn’t true. If it’s out by more than a couple of mm I would get your “suprised” man to sort it. It could easily be a wobbly tyre though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

disc brakes – al so no worries there, it seems pretty much a clear gap eitehr side of the rotor at all points anyways so it cant be a huge huge wobble….

probably just buckled then, ill have a feel of the rim to see if it leaves any gaps on a spin with a pen, i also never really noticed it that much before as i have race tyres on the back with no tread, and now stuck on the winter tyre and the knobs are raised thus perhaps making it more noticeable 🙂

appreciate the input though, will get it checked out, but good to know its doing no major harm as its been like that a while 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear Wheel Wobble?’ is closed to new replies.