Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rear wheel troubles
  • gdj001
    Free Member

Afternoon all, I come in search of advice from the STW collective.

I’ve got a fair bit of play in my cassette, it is tight as i’ve removed it and re-tightened it. I took it to the bike shop today and they reckon it’s the freehub and possibly the bearings need changing as well. I was quoted around £50.

the wheel is a DT Swiss x420sl off my stumpjumper. Is £50 a decent price or can i fix it easily myself? I’ve got a spare rear wheel off my now broken up hardtail which i could use until i inevitably upgrade my wheelset if i decide to run my current wheel until it dies.

unklehomered
    Free Member

For a freehub (sounds like that’s the prob), bearings and labour that sounds OK to me.

But I’m afraid you will almost certainly have started an arguement 😉

wwaswas

if i decide to run my current wheel until it dies

slipping freehub is no fun at all.

£50 for parts plus usign the right tools sounds about right, tbh.

With shimano it’s sometiems cheaper to buy a complete hub off a discount place than just a freehub – maybe possibel with yours too. You’d still need to get all the bearings out and in though.

FOG

Shimano freehubs are about £20-25 and only need a big Allen key [8mm I think]to fit, dunno about DT hubs, probably more!
    Well worth sorting out though, mine seized solid , luckily on my drive but it could have been a long way from any where

brickwizard
    Free Member

Same thing has just happened to my stumpjumper 420sl wheels.
    Crap hubs apparantly.

Think hope pro 2 is the way to go

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel troubles’ is closed to new replies.