Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Rear wheel spokes – symmetric or asymmetric?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Noticed on my new SS wheels the drive side spokes have the outer spokes in the “pull under power” configuration and the disc side in the “pull under braking” configuration, I believe this is Shimano convention?

Re-using a hope hub that was laced symmetrically and I normally lace the same due tot he dents around the spoke holes but wondering whether to switch to the asymmetric on the disc side (hub was laced with the outer spokes in the “pull under power” config.).

aracer
    Free Member

TBH it makes very little difference, unless clearance is very tight (in which case how you describe them seems the wrong way round, though I may be misunderstanding). More important to lace the same way the hub was used before as otherwise it’s possible to break the hub by stressing it where it’s been weakened.

walleater

Be prepared for 3 pages of arguing and no positive outcome. When large brands can’t even agree (for example IIRC King recommend different to Shimano for the same style of build) there’s not much hope here 😀

I build symmetrical with the pulling spokes inboard because it’s less faffing with twisting spokes around each other, and am of the opinion that all the theories mean nothing if the wheel is built correctly / tight in the first place and the lower limit screw on the rear derailleur is adjusted correctly (when a derailleur is used of course).

andyl
    Free Member

I am more inclined to rebuild how a hub was previously built than conform to any theories on what is better.

aracer – yes, the way I mention is the way shimano advise which puts clearance at risk if spokes flex outwards. But I have also read comments poo-pooing that theory

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel spokes – symmetric or asymmetric?’ is closed to new replies.