Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rear wheel. Rebuild or repair
  • bigyim
    Free Member

I’ve got a hope 2 evo stans arch rear wheel and has never been perfectly straight since I bought it second hand. I have had it straightened by a lbs and he did a crap job of it and started falling apart while I was riding cyb.
    I’ve trued it myself at home on a jig but the spoke tension is either loose or really tight.
    I thought about new nipples and spokes but I’m thinking it might need a new rim.
    What’s the stw hive mind experience? Wwstwd? Try to true it again ,new spokes and nipples or complete rebuild ?

chilled76
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s been bent out of shape and pulled in line by a true.

This results in really loose spokes one side and tight in the side that pulling it back in line. Forever doomed to be pinging back out of shape again.

Can’t tell for sure but sounds like it. If you’ve got a wheel jig then get a new rim and replace it using the existing spokes. Use new nyloc nipples though.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d suggest slackening it right off, checking the rim is ok then tension it properly.

What I’d actually do is use this as an excuse to replace the rim with a Mk3 version. I don’t think the erd even changed

bramblesummer
    Free Member

It might be recoverable, but will mean backing off every spoke, checking if the rim is in a reasonably true condition, then tightening everything up from scratch back into true and tensioned.

I’d personally take the opportunity to change out the rim and spokes, that way you’ve removed any bad history, plus you can pick a nice new mk3 rim…..

Edit – previous poster read my mind!

bigyim
    Free Member

I can’t seem to find any 26 inch arch rims in stock anywhere now. They must all be museums with all the other 26er stuff.
    I tried backing off all the spoke tension and re tightening them so it sounds like it maybe a rim problem

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Maybe time to buy a complete wheel? Cut out your hub and sell that separately (no idea why, but some hubs sell for more by themselves – especially hope ones!). Lots of hope wheels around 2nd hand at the moment (seamless plug that I might have a couple of pairs).

If it’s all been backed off and retightened properly, then I’d be suspect about the rim condition. A new set of nipples and spokes might sort it, but you won’t know until some money has been risked.

bigyim
    Free Member

They have spank rims for about 40 quid or nuke proof rims about 20 quid on crc

schmiken

I’d gladly buy a Hope Pro2 rear hub from you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel. Rebuild or repair’ is closed to new replies.