Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rear Wheel Pulling Out Of The Drop Outs
  • monksie
    Free Member

JRA’ing and the rear wheel starts rubbing on the inside of the left chainstay or even comes out completely.
    The qr, although old is still done up bastid tight. Still does it though.
    Frame knackered? QR need replacing? Something else?
    Any helpful suggestions apreciated.

porter_jamie

Make sure the qr really is tightening up on the frame and isnt bottoming out on itself, or something else

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you, I’ll have a look at that.

wwaswas

Put wheel in frame with QR removed and make sure axle is resting in dropouts correctly etc. then fit QR and tighten.

unklehomered
    Free Member

If its full suss, could be the chain is too short and pulling the wheel down? Doing it on all gears or just biggish ring combos?

monksie
    Free Member

“Put wheel in frame with QR removed and make sure axle is resting in dropouts correctly etc. then fit QR and tighten.”

First thing I tried but thanks anyway.

Hardtail. It has done it in various combinations. The rear mech (Sram X9) is sticking when it is put on the biggest cog but a quick tap with my toe releases that. It’s rarely in the biggest rear cog anyway.

Otherwise, no other issues.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Could the dropouts be bent out of alignment?

porter_jamie

try removing the qr from the wheel and fit over the dropouts with the wheel removed, and make sure it nips up on the frame

khani
    Free Member

Is one of the dropouts worn? You can check with some calipers, or close an adjustable spanner on one..pull it off…and see if it’s tight or loose on the other…
    Try a different QR as well..

igm

Borrow another QR to check that. I’ve had that happen with QRs which were worn smooth on the surface that grips the outside of the dropout (mainly on the SS). Changing the QR sorted it – but borrow one first to check.

allthepies
    Free Member

I used to get this with a Spesh Stumpy FSR. Replacing the POS QR’s with Shimano jobs sorted it 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Daft question, but is the QR bent or seized inside the axle? I had this once and I literally had to hammer the qr out a bit, add grease, hammer back in and repeat until I could get it out. Not my bike though……
    But if this happens your qr is only tightening on one side, see? 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

You’re sure the bit of the QR where the cam sits isn’t twisted?

MrPottatoHead

Also used to get this on an old Specialized. Never managed to fix it having tried various hub/qr combo’s. In the end i fasioned a hook out of some steel plate that wrapped round the back of the drop out. Not prety but rode it like that successfully for about 10 years. I’d heard some replaceable dropouts were made of a material too hard for the hub to grip effectively-not sure if that was just someone talking shite though.

mildred

Only one explanation is possible – your awesome power..! Now go to the pub and tell your mates. Then tell wimmin who will be impressed and throw themselves at your feet (let’s face it, they’re not made of wood).

monksie
    Free Member

A new qr fixed it up perfectly, thank you everybody.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rear Wheel Pulling Out Of The Drop Outs’ is closed to new replies.