• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by antb.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rear Wheel keeps breaking spokes ADVICE please
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

My rear wheel (the only one i did not build myself on all of my bikes) just keeps breaking spokes exactly on the nipple/spoke thread. Not been the same spoke but about once amonth at least one spoke breaks. The tension is fine the spokes/nipples appear fine and I doubt it is caused by any riding realted incidentas I di not crash and only once was I on a rocky descent.
    It does true up fine enough
    Shimano hub and sun singletrack rim unknown spokes
    Should I perserve with it ? re build it?Bin it or re spoke it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think, as a wheelbuilder yourself, that you know the answer….
    Re-spoke it!

🙂

lovewookie

What spokes are you using?

ton

stop eating big fat stodgy cakes…………….. 😯

soma_rich
    Free Member

wiered I keep braking spokes on my deore hubbed singletrack rimmed rear wheel. Not from a Kona is it? I suspect a re-build is need on mine.

fingerbike
    Free Member

How old is the wheel? had a wheel that was about 5 years old, started breaking a spoke pretty much everytime I went riding, lost 5 spokes in a week of riding so have had it rebuilt.

druidh
    Free Member

Deore hubbed Kona spoke breakage?? I’ll tick that box.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Could well be KONA but i got it second so not certain.
    OK rebuild it is then now The Book (Roger Musson) says you can re use spokes is this wise in this case?
    Opinions
    Full rebuild or just reduce all tension and start over again from there?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I was going to junk all the spokes and start again. I dont know exactly whats wrong but there appears to be a lot of tension in the spokes. If its too much I wouldnt know.

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

I was going to junk all the spokes and start again

Good call. Whatever the problem is, rebuilding should sort it.

Olly
    Free Member

unknown spokes

that would be your problem right there

gash OE spokes by the sound of things.
    a bad build will surely just cause you to have a wonky wheel.
    as far as i can think, it can only be caused by cheap spokes

get a pack of nice DB spokes and rebuild it one afternoon.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Wheels on my Paddy Wagon were built terribly when I got it too. machine built I guess. I retensioned them both before I rode it. If you’ve ridden it with badly tensioned spokes, its possible they’ve all fatigued in the same way. Is it laced correctly? I’d re-spoke it completely.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Get some new DB ACI spokes. They are farily cheap but quality spokes. Then do a rebuild. I bet the spokes you have are cheap black OEM ones machine built no doubt.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is actually laced correctly they are stainless not black cant tell if single or double buted (but half now are quality double buted as that is how many have been replaced !)
    Ok wet weekend activity lies ahead for me (knows he will end up buying a new hub as well) I can live with miss matched wheels but if I have to build one might as well have them match
    Look out for an advert for a wheel on classified soon and shh I might just get away with it 😉

Olly
    Free Member

lol.
    pressumably, the spokes you replace them with will be fine?
    and youve replaced half the spokes?

buy another 16 spokes, and replace them one by one as they break….? 😉

GavinB

If the spoke holes in the hub are worn then the spokes will generate small amounts of movement, which in turn will cause spokes to snap. Maybe have a look to see if the spokes rattle at all in their spoke holes on the hub flange – if they do, then get hold of some DT spoke washers to tighten them up. Just an idea…

johnners
    Free Member

If the spoke holes in the hub are worn then the spokes will generate small amounts of movement

Only if they’re heinously loose, I’ve never heard of such a thing! How are they going to be seen rattling if they’ve any tension whatsoever?

As others have said, rebuild with new spokes.

GavinB

Really! Perhaps I should have explained that you need to completely unscrew the nipple, then check for play. The spoke should not have any movement in the hub flange. Rebuilding with new spokes in an old worn hub will cause exactly the same thing to happen again. If however the hub flanges are fine, then it is not an issue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i understood what you said first time and will check it as a possibility

antb
    Free Member

Deore hubbed Kona spoke breakage?? I'll tick that box.

Does this happen alot? I'm on the 3rd set of spokes on my Kona.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rear Wheel keeps breaking spokes ADVICE please’ is closed to new replies.