Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Rear wheel flex. .. How to stop ?
  • transporter13
    Free Member

I build all my wheels with plain guage 2.0 spokes and have no issues with wheels flex

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So what’s my options.

A new hobby, I’d suggest. I can’t recall a bike you’ve ever been happy with.

renton
    Free Member

Nope mate I’m quite happy with this as it stands.

Apart from the wheel obvs.

iainc

what’s my options.

Buy a wheelset from Merlin that meets your weight and riding requirements, sell the ones you have

iainc

ton

why not just buy stuff suitable for your weight?

good wheels are THE most important things on a bike, for a heavy rider.

renton
    Free Member

why not just buy stuff suitable for your weight?

good wheels are THE most important things on a bike, for a heavy rider.

That’s what I’m trying to do ton.

I didn’t realise at the time I bought the wheels that they had the thinner spokes on.

I thought the wheel would be ok to be honest but as I’ve got more used to the bike it’s starting to highlight that it’s not.

I’ve been out and checked the frame and it’s solid. No play in the bearings etc.

Wally

Hi Renton, it’s not just you and your bike parts. The Horsethief frame I bought from you bucked me off and now I have a broken leg.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Flex does not come from play in bearings.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

True but it can be a cause of wheel rubbing the stays which is the problem .

renton
    Free Member

Healing vibes Wally.

scotroutes

Just get it rebuilt with thicker spokes.

Wally

Thanks, it was 100% pilot error and bad luck. Frame is a peach.

bowglie

Just noticed your tyre choice – is it the control or grid version of the Ground Control? If it’s the control version, I’d say this wouldn’t be helping the situation. IME, the sidewalls are really lacking in support and feel a bit wibbly with a bit of aggressive riding, and this is made worse when they’re on a narrower rim (I’ve tried 2.3 GC’s on rims with internal widths of 21, 23 and 29mm).

A cheap option for you might be to try a tyre with a stronger sidewall. Something like a Mavic Quest – they’re designed for rims with 23mm internal, and have reinforced sidewalls. Grip is about the same as a GC, but they’re a bit heavier and the tread can wear out pretty quick – nice and stable though. (Blatant plug – I could sell you an unused one from my tyre cache for £15 posted;))

ahwiles
    Free Member

Sounds like a good opportunity to learn how to build a wheel. It’s really not that hard, it’s even good fun.

Your first wheel shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours, and 32 sapim spokes will cost about £20.

(The rim you have should be stiff enough)

deviant
    Free Member

This is why I love the custom wheel build option on Superstars website.
    You can choose their own hubs, rims etc or branded stuff from DT-Swiss, Stans, Mavic etc…then choose the type of spoke you want from bladed, to plain gauge to butted etc…you’ll basically end up with a suitable wheel for the type of bike you own, the riding you do and your weight instead of the usual shite specced on most complete builds.

renton
    Free Member

Can I just ask something …..

These st i25 rims on offer at on one for £9.99 ……

Would they be ok with a decent plain guage spoke.

Cheers.

Steve.

deviant
    Free Member

Is the bike a 29er?….isn’t boost spacing supposedly a solution to the inherent flex of bigger wheels and a big chap riding one?

The i25 rim is decent, I don’t know enough about spokes I’m afraid.

ahwiles
    Free Member

renton – Member

Cheers.

Steve.

they’re a hefty rim, at something around 600grams. While there’s more to stiffness than simply using more metal, it’s good start.

1) use plain gauge spokes and you should notice a significant difference.

2) the wider rim would help a bit too.

(i suspect most of the improvement will come from the spokes, which is where most of the strength/stiffness of a wheel comes from. But still, a slightly wider rim should be stiffer, and as it’s only a tenner, it’s probably worth it)

deviant – Member

Is the bike a 29er?….isn’t boost spacing supposedly a solution to the inherent flex of bigger wheels and a big chap riding one?

yes, but that would need a new frame, and hub. All for more or less the same increase in stiffness you’d get from an offset rim, or even just a well built wheel… i’m happy to see incremental improvements, but if you’ve got a not-boost frame, and you’re worried about lateral wheel stiffness, there’s all sorts of things you can try before dumping your old frame in a canal.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply

they’re a hefty rim, at something around 600grams. While there’s more to stiffness than simply using more metal, it’s good start.

They are 14 grams heavier than the i23 which I can live with.

I guess changing from the spokes I have to plain guage will add quite a bit of weight.

Any recommendations on make of spoke ?

Also if you buy new rims how do you find what spoke lengths you need etc.

john_l
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

dt swiss spokes are really good.

as far as i can tell, sapim spokes are just as good, and about 2-thirds the price.

there are online calculators to tell you what length spokes to use, you just type in some easily measured details about your hub and rim.

but, i’d be surprised if there was much/any difference between the effective diameter of a wtb st i23, and a wtb st i25. so you could just measure the current spokes, but you’d need to take them out to measure them (1 each side, they’ll probably be different lengths)

i bought the roger musson book, it’s great. don’t be put off by the size of the book, the bit where you actually get stuck in and build a wheel is covered in about 4 pages, with lots of big diagrams.

(my favourite tip: cut the end off a cotton bud, flatten the plastic tube, hey presto! nipple driver)

iainc

renton – Member

renton – Member
    I23 rim.

Wheel builder suggested plain guage spokes.

renton – Member
    Thanks for the reply

They are 14 grams heavier than the i23 which I can live with.

I guess changing from the spokes I have to plain guage will add quite a bit of weight.

Any recommendations on make of spoke ?

Also if you buy new rims how do you find what spoke lengths you need etc.

I think you need to ask the wheelbuilder what he advises, seeing as he is building it….

flange
    Free Member

Decent wheels make or break a 29er in my opinion, way more so than on 650b or 26. You’re a big lad Renton, you need a stiff back wheel. I had a similar issue on my Spearfish, felt like something was loose or that I was rolling a tyre when in fact it was just a cheap rubbish wheel from superstar flexing a lot.

My suggestion would be sell the wheel and buy something like a Flow. I personally wouldn’t reuse spokes (I’ve built a few wheels myself) and I certainly wouldn’t go for some as thin as the ones you’ve got. And I’m not 110kg either so the extra weight is only going to make a bad situation worse.

deviant
    Free Member

As said above, I’m not digging at your weight.

At one point I was 100kg and found riding any kind of FS a weird sensation, I’m sure they’re engineered to take the weight but I doubt many test riders are that heavy…most pro riders, factory employed development riders or even just bike journos reviewing prototypes appear to be racing snakes…it’s often the same with Japanese motorbikes, they are usually designed and set up for the typical Japanese male who is (massive stereotype coming) shorter and lighter than European and American men…when I was 100kg I found riding my steel HT far more satisfying.

I’m now 83kg and my FS feels fine, I’m still probably heavier than the mass market air suspension products are designed for as fitting coil forks and a coil shock has the bike riding far better but with an obvious weight penalty.

Everything is a compromise….with your bike I’d love to stick a 650b wheel in the back while keeping the 29er up front, you’d still get the roll over ability of a 29er as the rear wheel just follows the front but it’d slacken out the HA some more, you’d probably get a stronger rear wheel out of it and it’d get marginally lower in the BB…i reckon that’d be a beast!

daern
    Free Member

Have just rebuilt my rear wheel (KOM i23 29er) on my SC Tallboy after the old rim split. Used the original spokes (DT Competition 2.0/1.8) and moved to an i25 rim but have put a little more tension on them than the old build. I can’t feel any flex through the wheel and I certainly can’t move it by hand in the frame. I’m pretty lardy too (90kg).

I’d be checking wheel bearings too. Recently had an Intense pass through the garage which had a little bit of wheel rub – wheel bearings were gone although it was impossible to tell out of the bike and you could only just tell even when fitted, but the impact to the ride was huge. Same goes for linkage bearings…

renton
    Free Member

So just to update I’ve been offered touch with my wheel builder and this is his reply….

Hi Steve, re re-building your wheel with stronger, larger diameter spokes to make it a more rigid and stronger wheel:

Plain gauge 2mm (14 gauge) spokes would be my recommendation. Plain gauge spokes are the same diameter for the whole length of the spoke; it’s a stronger, more economic choice. Double butted spokes are a smaller diameter in the middle section, it saves weight but they retain comparable strength in terms of a completed wheel, they are more expensive though.

36 plain gauge spokes would cost £28, 36 butted spokes would cost £45. Prices include nipples, both are stainless steel, black spokes. Building cost: I haven’t increased my cost for building wheels, it’d usually be the same as last time, £45, I’ll reduce that by £10 for you.

That sounds fair enough I think.

I’m still considering upgrading the rim from an st i23 to the i25.

Will I notice the difference?

flange
    Free Member

What are you going to do with the 4 extra spokes…?

I stand by my previous statement – 29ers need decent wheels, stiff and light being top of the priority list. I personally wouldn’t go for an i23/25 at your weight, I’d be more inclined to go for something like a Stans Flow.

For the sake of £17 I’d get the double butted spokes, remove as much weight as you can out of it with compromising strength.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I weigh 110kg clothed and didn’t fanny about with the wheels on my 456. Straight spoked Mavic D521s, a Hope Big ‘un front and Sport rear. I’d much rather lug the extra pound or so around with me than have flimsier wheels to worry about.

Yeah ok, the Big ‘un is OTT and could be replaced by something just as strong and much lighter but I love that hub.

philjunior
    Free Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works, is the tyre rubbing on both sides or just one? If just one, it could just be that the dish isn’t quite right.

1.8/1.5mm spokes are pretty thin, whilst I’m not convinced they’d really allow that much extra flex, 2.0 or even 2.0/1.8mm spokes will help a bit.

I’d suggest a smaller tyre if the tyre’s touching the frame though.

renton
    Free Member

Both sides mate.

philjunior
    Free Member

Fair enough, not dish then!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

IIRC DB spokes are stronger than PG spokes, or at least they should last longer. Whether they’re stiffer though.

I’d just sell the whole wheel/wheels and buy a different set. Saves fannying about and will probs work out the same.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel flex. .. How to stop ?’ is closed to new replies.