• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rear wheel breaking away under heavy cornering
  • funkrodent

Afternoon all, I’d like to put this to the collective.

Recently purchased a 2017 Trance 2. Superb bike, long, low and slack without being silly and as good a descender as I’ve ridden.

However there is one issue and that is the tendency for the back end to slide out under heavy cornering, particularly on berms. At first I blamed it on the stock Nobby Nics it came with, but swapped rear out for my usual Mountain King and issue is still there. I’ve checked the rear wheel and spokes feel a tiny bit loose, but not sure if it’s this.
    I’m a big heavy rider 6’4″ & 17 stone) but never had this before.
    Any potential causes / remedies most welcome.
    Thanks in advance!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

suspension set up, back is skipping and not gripping/ ripping

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tyre roll.Try more pressure or wider rims.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’re just too awesome.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Stop braking.

JackHammer

Could you paint us a picture of where, when and what?

Flat corner/bermed corner, hardpack/Loam, brakes F+R/R only/Fr only, are you leaning into the corner, does the tyre break away and then bite back into the ground/cause you to crash? Then we can try and help.

Also what bike did you have before?

Jakester
    Free Member

I had this when I picked up my new (to me) bike – the rear wheel felt like it was ‘stepping out’ under cornering. Tracked it down to loose spokes in the rear wheel – nipped them up, and not had the problem since.

funkrodent

Thanks all for the (mostly 😀 ) helpful advice. Figured the wheel may be the issue. Same internal width as my old wheel so shouldn’t be that (I’d swap them to try but new one is a boost. Is there a way to run 12×142 in a boost setting??). Could be loose spokes, I’ll have a go at them. Could be tyre folding, but never had that before. As stated in the OP this is most common when railing (in an ideal world) berms, but any hard leaning of the bike is sketchy.
    Suspension could be a good call, maybe dial down the rebound a touch. Perhaps it’s too firm.
    Previous bikes include 2010 5.Spot, 2013 Sight and various hardtails. Never been an issue.
    Lastly, can’t in all honesty rule out my overall awesomeness being the underlying factor. But if that’s the case then Giant’s design and quality control processes must have fallen off a cliff..

dannyh
    Free Member

maybe dial down the rebound a touch. Perhaps it’s too firm.

Too fast? When you get to it, there are actually quite a lot of things it could be! Could be riding position, could be the fork being too soft, pulling you forwards and unweighting the rear, could be anything. Might be worth getting someone to watch you and/or film you?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What bike did you have before?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

both crap tyres IMHO try Maxxis DHR. Id also lower tyre pressure – you are tubeless? I run 18psi in the wet front and rear but I’m only 68kg. Id also try less air etc in the can. Maybe some damping needed.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re not going high enough up the berms to match your speed.

funkrodent

Thanks guys, more good advice. Did actually put more pressure in the fork, but also the rear shock as well. You’re right, I meant slow down the rebound on the shock. Hear what scrutinizer is saying re carrying speed into the berm. Thing is (as the vicar said to the nun) it’s never happened before and I don’t feel like I’m going any slower.
    Paws – you may be right about crappiness of tyres – & Maxxis are on the to do list – but I’ve run the exact same Mountain King on my other bikes and never had an issue.
    Science officer – 5.Spot,Sight and a couple of hardtail including the Quarterhorse which I still rate and need to build back up again having cannabilised it to build up the Norco for the Lakes.
    Still think it’s probably the wheel though..

Edit – just re read Scrutinizer’s post. Could be that I’m actually hitting corners faster than before. For sure the bike feels faster everywhere else..

funkrodent

That being said, don’t think my excess speed is the case. Feels somewhat flimsy even at relatively low speeds now I think about it. So either the bike flexes like mad in the back end (not picked up in any reviews) or it’s the wheels. Perhaps it’s time to invest in a set of Satan’s or some such. Anywhere in the NW allow you to trial wheels?

julians
    Free Member

Ive had a similar feeling that was caused by slightly loose spokes.they were allowing the rear wheel to flex under cornering.

It wasnt actually breaking away,it was just allowing the hub to move laterally a little bit relative to the rim

It could be many other things as well,but loose spokes is an easy one to check for.

funkrodent

Satan’s?? Goddam autocorrect. Though, come to think of it that’d be a great brand name for some hard core wheels – “If you can’t stand the heat..” :mrgreen:

funkrodent

Cheers Julian. Though in my case it’s most definitely breaking away. Sliding like you wouldn’t believe (well you might, but who’s counting). Disconcerting at first, then quite good fun, but not something for the long run..

funkrodent

As an update to this, swapped out the rear tyre to a Maxxis DHR and the problem went away. Unfortunately that got torn. Put the stock Nobby Nic back on and it reappeared. Seems the tyre was the issue all along..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel breaking away under heavy cornering’ is closed to new replies.