Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rear Wheel Bearing Adjustment
  • DaddyCool
    Free Member

Im trying to adjust the bearings on my rear wheel. The drive side is loose. Do I need to loosen non drive side and push axle out through drive side so it protrudes past the free hub body then turn the cone a bit then put it back together and then replace the non drive side assembly?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers.

ziggy
    Free Member

Cup and cone type?

If so you need to wip out the axle to lock the driveside cone and locknut together first. You can't adjust it in the wheel as of course the freehub body stops you getting a cone spanner on the cone. So adjust from the non drive side.

ziggy
    Free Member

Ah I see now, yes if the drive side cone isn't tight against the locknut then it will undo as you ride.

DaddyCool
    Free Member

Ziggy,

Thanks for your reply.

So how do you know where on the axle to tighten the cone to, as you dont know if the locking nut has moved? Is it just trial and error?

Thanks.

coatesy
    Free Member

You'll be looking to get a similar amount of axle protruding past the locknut either end(usually about 5mm), so measure how much is at the other end and replicate it. It's not an exact science, you just need comething for the dropout to support without coming too close to it's outer edge(need room for the QR spring).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rear Wheel Bearing Adjustment’ is closed to new replies.