• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear wheel alignment on new frame…
  • happybiker
    Free Member

Started building up a new steel frame today, fitted the headset and forks and got as far as fitting the rear wheel and there’s almost no clearance on the drive side seatstay. The wheel is perfectly dished and true, I’ve flipped it around the issue is still there.
    The clearance at the chainstays seems fine though which is even more odd.

I’m tempted to post some pics but not sure if giving away the manufacturers name is fair before I’ve got in touch with them or the shop.

Northwind

Are the dropouts definitely right into the frame? (shouldn’t be an issue with bolt-throughs but paint defects can make the dropout too tight for the wheel, canting it over.

happybiker
    Free Member

They look fine, I pushed the wheel to the centre of the stays and the difference between where the axle should sit and where it is is several mm as opposed to a 1 or 2mm.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

check for paint in the drop out, or a closed up drop out (if the frame has been dropped)Do a visual check on the end of the axle with the QR out. Should be able to see if its seated correctly.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Try flipping the wheel as well.
    Had a shop years ago swear my frame was out as there wheel jig had the dish “spot on”

Someone had knocked the jig over when moving it and bent it.

happybiker
    Free Member

I have flipped it, no change.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Tie a piece of string round one dropout, loop the string along the length of the frame, round the headtube and back to the other dropout. Looking at the spaces between the seattube and the string on each side will give you an idea if the rear end has been whacked out of alignment.

That said, what you describe is normally a problem with dropouts not being same height (or axle not seatted properly). That would account for clearance being ok at the chainstay.

Also, try fitting a wheel without a tyre and see if the rim is parallel with the seattube.

happybiker
    Free Member

Well it seems the frame is straight, I loosened the QR and lent on it with all my weight and it seated.Took the wheel off to inspect it and it did it again, seems it just needs some persuasion…

JoeG
    Free Member

^ Sounds like thick paint in the one dropout.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel alignment on new frame…’ is closed to new replies.