Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rear wheel alighnment – is this normal?
  • tinribz
    Free Member

Fairly new frame / 100 road miles.

Went to change the tyres from ridiculously skinny to ridiculously large and noticed this:

Tyre seems on straight. Now I can adjust to centre and tighten but should it be snug in the stays, or am I just fussing?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Shimano hub?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

BTW don't ride it until it's sorted that tyre will eat through the chainstay.

ajantom

Looks like the wheel dishing is out – you need to check spoke tension, it might have loosened off on the non-drive side by the look of it.

if the wheel is true, but just over to one side. It's pretty easy to fix by tightening all the non-drive side spokes and loosening all the drive sides ones. Do it about 1/4 turn at a time.

tinribz
    Free Member

No Fulcrum Red Metal 5 Disc

OK, spoke key time then.

njee20
    Free Member

Take the wheel out and put it in the other way around, if the gap shifts to the other side it's a wheel problem, if it stays the same side it's a frame problem.

schmiken

It should be snug in the stays and your wheel needs redishing. Take it to the LBS.

tinribz
    Free Member

Spokey key plus ajantom's advice and problem solved.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not good, but could just be down to manufacturing tolerances stacking up together.Is the same thing happening on the seatstays?
    As said, you could re-dish to suit, but i'd follow njee20's advice to identify where the problem is first.

I_Ache
    Free Member

@Kingtut how will the tyre eat the stay if its not touching it?

tinribz
    Free Member

Have just tried turning the wheel round and now it rubs worse than before, and on the same side. How can that be right?

trail_rat
    Free Member

andy M the tire will rub due to flex in the wheel and tire under cornering

Tinribz go to a shop and get them to check the wheel with a dishing tool.

Is the wheel off center at the seat stays ?

I had a frame like this which was off at the chainstays but perfect at the seat stays …….new frame time 😀

owenfackrell
    Free Member

If its still out on the same side after turning the wheel round it suggest to me that the drop outs are not lined up correctly.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Er…silly question, but is the wheel seated properly in the drop outs?

My Swift had a miss-aligned rear wheel, when I had it built up at a certain bike shop. Thought it was the wheel, then the frame. Turns out it was the numpty at the shop!

rolfharris
    Free Member

If the wheel does what you describe, there's something wrong with the frame.

Can you try another wheel? If you have another bike or can use a mate's bike where the wheel is dead central then bob it in this bike. If it's still the case, get on to Cotic.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the wheel is probably dished centraly, i.e. right over the middle of the rear axel.

A lot of frames are built with the driveside chainstay sticking out further than the disk side to get a better chainline and move the front mech out past big tires. Just keep adding/subtracting 1/4 turns from each spoke untill its central in the stays.

StuF

Are the hubs set up properly with all the washers / spacers in the correct place – I had something similar until I realised I'd re-assembled my hub incorrectly.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like the wheel is very slightly out of dish and your frame's pissed. At least you didn't trash your wheel by re-aligning it the wrong way!

tinsy
    Free Member

andy m, with a wheel that close the slightest bit of mud, and a bit of wheel flex thrown in and it will damage the stays. I did it to one bike but stopped using such fat rubber after 2 rides, all the paint had gone off the inside of the stays, it didnt rub in the car park but out riding it must have.

njee20 sorted what was what, with the reversing the wheel tip, frame is out of kilter..

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 sorted what was what, with the reversing the wheel tip, frame is out of kilter..

Huh? I know, I said that, but the fact it's slightly worse with the wheel the other way suggests that the wheel is also very slightly out of dish, and had he followed most advice on here and re-dished the wheel he would have made that problem far worse, whilst not addressing the root cause.

tinribz
    Free Member

I did re-dish the wheel which is why I think it is worse when I turn it around now.

Tried a different wheel which looked centered enough in the frame it came from:

That looks conclusively about 5mm diff / 2.5mm out. When I turn this one around it is about 11mm & 14mm.

What do you mean make the problem worse? Is 5 / 2.5mm worth worrying about? Could I have caused the problem?

njee20
    Free Member

No, you're frame's buggered! I'd be taking it back and getting a shop to check the alignment with a proper tool.

scaredypants

Still don't know if it's the wheel or the frame – esp if a different wheel looked different

You could take the wheel out, get some string & tie it to one rear dropout. Run the string forwards, round headtube & back to the other dropout. Have a look (or a measure) to see that distance from string to seat tube is equal on both sides. That's a decent pointer to whether your frame is properly aligned.

If it seems OK, then redishing the wheel to fit the frame would probably be OK too.

Me, I'd contact the cotic geezer (Cy ?) for advice

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel alighnment – is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.