Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear Tyres – Probably Again!
  • ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Ok at the risk of being ridiculed for starting another tyre thread here goes!

My usual go to is the HR2 and I’ve been running a 3c max terra exo for about a year now but the treads pretty much done so needs replacing. I’m after a new rear tyre for mixed riding conditions that will do well over the winter. I generally ride natural forest trails but also harder packed stuff if I’m up in the hills (although chances of that soon will be limited coming in to winter)

Do I go for the same again or is there something better?

Upfront I’ll have on a MM as I like the grip that gives me.

acidtest
    Free Member

Nobby Nic Pacestar if you fancy something that rolls better, pairs up nicely with the Mary on the front.

honourablegeorge

DHR2

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sofaboy73
    Free Member

if you don’t ride on a lot of pointy loose rock, I’d go for a hans dampf in pace star flavour. ive just moved to the minion DHR2 in 3C and find it very draggy in compassion to the HD and have to run fairly low pressures to get the same grip. only stopped using the HD because of the afore mentioned rock putting holes in the tread

fifeandy
    Free Member

HD doesn’t shed mud that well – not ideal for the OP’s natural forest trails in winter

Northwind

DHR2 is superb IMO. But it’s all conditional. Like, for me hans dampfs are appalling- they wear fast (and as soon as the blocks lose their edge they lose grip), they puncture easily unless you go for the tough versions… But mostly, they clog worse with our mud than just about any other modern tyre I’ve used, and no tyre works once it’s fully clogged.

DHR2 in 60a rolls about the same as a pacestar, grips a bit worse in most conditions when brand new and clear, but clears in mud so in practice keeps working when the HD gives up, and stays grippy as it wears too (and wears much slower). And OK, still isn’t a tough tyre but better. OTOH it’s smaller which isn’t so good, I’d like a wee bit more girth.

DHR2 > HR2 though.

What tyre size? 26er Butcher Control might be good for you, it’s respectably fast, very grippy, and slides superbly when it goes, totally predictable and managable. But, it’s a lightweight tyre for the job it does so it’s really not tough. And for some reason, the 29er doesn’t have the same sliding manners, don’t know about the b+

chakaping
    Free Member

DHR2 exo 60a (not 3c)

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

OTOH it’s smaller which isn’t so good, I’d like a wee bit more girth.

2.4 WT version is out there now, solves that issue

Northwind

OOOOH

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear Tyres – Probably Again!’ is closed to new replies.