Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rear tyre for enduro
  • aroche
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a rear enduro tyre?
    Looking for a summer tyre, but ideally something that won’t need to be swapped ut with every shower of rain, – ie. something that is “reasonable” in the wet, but that rolls well.
    It would probably be paired for a Schwalbe Hans Dampf trailstar compound up front.

Thinking of Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Exo 3C or new Nobby Nic 2015. Maybe Rock Razer, Anyone used these?
    Any thoughts..?

warpcow
    Free Member

Use an Ardent myself. Seems a decent balance between fast rolling and all round grip. I’m not really one for changing my rear tyre based on the weather though (I do on the front, constantly).

chakaping
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Exo 3C

I used the 60a version tubeless for UK and Alps riding, it’s very very good but it can hole when you get up to Strava speed 😉

The Rock Razor in supergravity carcass might be an improvement in that department, but doesn’t look like it would cope so well in the wet.

Got my Ardent exo in VGC to sell if you’re on 26in btw.

SirHC

Nobby nic would make the most sense, rock razors are pretty hopeless in the wet.

For me its minion front and a Ardent or ardent race out back. Loads of grip in the front and something with just enough grip on the back without the drag penalty.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Spec Purgatory?

Rock Razor was fairly hopeless after a weekends racing & the knobs started to break down. Great for getting loose with though. Never been so out of shape coming into corners 🙂

aroche
    Free Member

Use an Ardent myself. Seems a decent balance between fast rolling and all round grip. I’m not really one for changing my rear tyre based on the weather though (I do on the front, constantly).

Yeah, thats exactly what I’m after.
    Ardent and new Nobby Nic seem very similar, wonder which one has the edge.

aroche
    Free Member

For me its minion front and a Ardent or ardent race out back.

How does Ardent Race compare to plain Ardent?

Mackem

I’m using Specialized Purgatory in all conditions, mainly because I cant be arsed to swap tyres. They were fine in the mud yesterday.

Tracey

We are using Purgatorys on the rears and a mixture of Clutch, Butcher and Enduro on the fronts. Been first class in all conditions so far.

deviant
    Free Member

Been running an Ardent rear on my FS…coupled to a High Roller-2 up front, worked great through the summer, wet weather wasnt a problem either, i only switched to a Minion on the rear and Dirty Dan up front when the proper winter slop arrived.

SirHC

How does Ardent Race compare to plain Ardent?

Its the love child of an ardent and an ikon. The side knobs are in a continuous row on the ardent race, compared to being in a stepped row on the ardent, which seems to give a bit more side bite. The tread is lower profile, so roll quicker than an ardent.

nuke

I run Hans Dampf tubeless on the front but went cheap on the back: Chunky Monkey run tubeless…good all-rounder with decent sidewalls

honourablegeorge

Hans Dampf Pacestar out back?

Northwind

Specialized Butcher- a better Minion. Faster than you’d think, works in all conditions except dust (because since when did summer enduro really call for a dry tyre?). I used to swap between it and a Captain for speed, now I don’t really bother. Not for tyre-rippers though.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Agree on the Butcher they are great tyres-I had a purgatory in the back but it’s the only tyre I have ever removed and binned before it was worn-worst tyre I have used. I hve a spesh slaughter now it’s good in the dry, average in the wet

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Enduro tyre….

On the rear I would go with 2.3 HRII or 2.3 DHR II but I would not get the 3C.

This year when it is nice and dry with not much fresh cut I will try out the Scwalbe RR. Front tyre would be 2.5 DHF 3C if there is fresh cut as it has a bit of spike to it. If the trails haven’t got much to bite into like at trail centres then it will be Chunky Monkey at the front.

superfli
    Free Member

Butcher up front (fantastic all rounder) and Nevegal X Pro rear. MM on front when it gets too muddy
    Not many mention the Nevegal, but I’ve always liked them. The old version was draggy, but with a bit of wear it wasnt so bad. I wore it out eventually, and I usually change before that happens. So with my new 650 wheels, I thought I’d try the Nevegal X Pro. Its a lot more rounded than before and a lot less draggy. Its tough, like the old one (never had an issue tubeless) and grippy off camber and whilst dragging the rear. Doesnt excel in anything, but is fast and a good allrounder.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A round rubbery one?

kimbers

Ardent exo 60a is good, until it gets too muddy
    HR 2 is good but draggy
    Older nobby nic I didn’t like, some sketchy moments!
    Currently running a Hans dampf Pacestar when its muddy bit draggy and can fill up when really claggy

Whatever you choose, go snakeskin/exo tubeless or pinch flats will ruin your race runs !

tymbian
    Free Member

How does the 2.4 Ardent handle wet rocks n roots? Currently have one on the front ( 29inch ) but thinking of putting it on the rear and. Magic Mary on he front for a Wales trip ( Coed y Brenin ).

Simon

Crossmark is my rear summer tyre, Butcher up front.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Enduro tyres 😆

Myself, pick tyres suited to the terrain and conditions. Or does Enduro insist you have to ride on specific terrain and conditions? 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

High Roller 60a

Candodavid
    Free Member

Onza Ibex 2.4′, ramped tread pattern which isn’t too deep.
    Grips in the wet sloppy stuff and great sidewall strength

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I started with a 650b ardent 2.4 or the back (HR2 front), but it was far too slippy at speed on roots / chalk so switched to a 2.3 HR2 exo with a wtb vigilante up front – awesome grippy combo.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re not the type of rider who puts holes in tyres too much, I’d go for the Purgatory Grid actually.

Very versatile tyre, rolls well and it was only taking Castle Crag on the Borrowdale Bash at speed that eventually holed it – and I was on a 130mm bike.

br
    Free Member

It’s still the winter, and we’ve spring yet.

Northwind

I’m not going to say the Purg’s a bad tyre, it’s just barely any faster than a butcher, and miles less grippy (and much nastier when it loses grip)

deadkenny – Member

Or does Enduro insist you have to ride on specific terrain and conditions?

Yes, they’re called “stages”

Neb

Does anyone have experience with the wtb trail boss as a rear tyre? Specifically thinking Tough/Fast rolling. In my head it ticks a lot of the boxes for an ‘Enduro’ tyre.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, they’re called “stages”

Nah, you need one from the list of the UKGE preferred suppliers, or you can’t race.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre for enduro’ is closed to new replies.