Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear tyre for a stinking manky Scottish winter?.
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

shorty on the front, has anyone run one on the rear?.

Thinking either that or a minion DHR2, as I like a big volume tyre and the shorty isn’t really.

Cheers.

julzm
    Free Member

Nobeer I’ve got a shorty/DHR2 combo on my 5010. OH has it on his nomad. Works really well, plenty of grip. Better than my vigilantes as much as I hate to admit it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I usually prefer a narrow tyre on the back as it’ll grip and track much better than a big squirmy floaty one. Still using a HR2 on the back of mine just now but when it dies I’ll maybe put on a shorty or a cheaper thing with a similar tread pattern.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

I’ve run a DHR2 on front and rear since april and i’ve been really impressed with them. grip is tremendous compared to my previous front tyre (a nobby nic, so hardly a benchmark)

Northwind

Depends a bit on exactly what it’s to do. If you want to pedal forwards or upwards through slop, you want a bit more spike/paddle. If it’s mostly for grip going downwards then a DHR2 or Butcher are both very fine but they don’t have that much shove.

So, like, on my big bike it mostly slogs uphill on hardpack and fireroads and that then slops downhill on #enduro slippery death, it doesn’t really need to be able to pedal through a flat muddy field or whatever.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d like some uphill grip on greasy climbs tbh, HR2 was pure shite on the rear for that, but I accept that’s not what it’s really aimed at. I think I’ll just go with another shorty.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre for a stinking manky Scottish winter?.’ is closed to new replies.