Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rear tyre almost hitting the frame after wheel true
  • legendof1973
    Free Member

I had a spoke on my rear wheel which was broken so put it in to my local bike shop to be fixed. Whilst it was in they offered to take out a ding in the rim which I gladly agreed to. I run a 30mm internal wide rim on a 2.35 wide tyre but previously my tyre was missing the frame on both sides at the rear by about 5mm but since putting it back on the bike one side is almost hitting the frame with the other side having plenty room but the wheel seems true???

Am I now going to have to go down to a 2.25 rear tyre or is their anything else I can do?

Thanks

scotroutes

If it’s closer to the frame on one side only then it needs re-dished. Take it back (on the bike), show them the problem and ask them to fix it for you.

breadcrumb

Sounds like it needs re-dished. Providing the wheel is sitting on the frame properly?

Take it back and ask them to sort it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legendof1973
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll contact the shop and see what they say. It’s on the bike correctly and seems pretty true albeit it does have a ‘flat spot’ apparently where the ding was I’ve been told. Will that be possibly causing this?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Turn the wheel around and see if the small gap moves to the other side. If it does, the dish is out and the wheel need correcting. If it stays where it is, it’s due to the frame. Now, this could be an alignment issue with the frame or it could be intentional (isn’t specialized doing this currently?) In which case, the wheel needs to be dished to suit the frame.

legendof1973
    Free Member

It’s pretty much true as it sits on the frame as in the gap hardly changes when it spins past that part of the frame but it’s almost touching on one side. Previously it was pretty much level either side.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Have you done as Onzadog states as this will reveal if it’s a frame issue or simple re-dishing.

scaredypants

onza is suggesting that you take out the wheel and put it back with the cassette on the left side, then see if the wheel’s nearly touching the frame but on the other side. If so, wheel needs centreing.

If the wheel’s still nearly touching the frame on the same side as before, your frame has an offset (likely deliberate, possibly bent) and your wheel needs rebuilding with that offset built in

legendof1973
    Free Member

Ah, I understand what you mean now. I’ll try that in the morning. Thanks

rickon
    Free Member

The quickest fix, and it’s pretty easy to do…. Is to undo the nipples on the problem side by a quarter turn, and do up the other side by a quarter turn. Repeat until the rim is centered 🙂

What the guys above are taking about is wheel ‘dish’. Which is different to wheel ‘true’. A wheel can be 100% true, but if the spokes are too tight on one side, the rim will have moved across to that side a bit.

So it looks like the shop trued the wheel perfectly, but didn’t check the dish. Easily done, and easily fixed.

legendof1973
    Free Member

Ok, cheers. So if doing this do I tighten / slacken opposite spokes on the opposite side as I go round or just move round the wheel one by one?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Take it back to the shop.youll never get it true and dished without a proper jig.

legendof1973
    Free Member

That’s what I am thinking.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s pretty poor on the shop’s behalf if it’s just been trued without the dish checked. Hopefully they’ll sort it out for you if this is the issue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did you work out what the cause was? It’s possible the wheel was perfectly dished.

legendof1973
    Free Member

Took it back to the shop with the bike today. Just needed dished again. All running fine now. Cheers for the advice guys.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre almost hitting the frame after wheel true’ is closed to new replies.