Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rear tyre advice – Ground Control, Captain or something else?
  • devash
    Free Member

Morning Singletrackers.

I’m currently running Specialized Purgs in 26″ 2.3 variety front and back on my short travel full sus, which is currently being used for general riding (60% long fireroad climbs to get to some rocky, steep and loose trails).

They are excellent tyres, with a lot of grip, but I’d definitely say that on the rear they are a little draggy. Now the trails here are drying out somewhat (currently living in Northern Italy) I’m thinking of putting something else on the rear.

Purg front / Ground Control rear seems to be a tried and tested combo although I’ve seen some people running a Captain out back. Would either of these be a reasonable combo for putting in the miles on dry, loose and rocky trails?

I’m also open to other suggestions that aren’t Specialized

Here’s a couple of pics of the kind of stuff I need to ride up to get to the trails (and then ride down again really fast at the end of the day 😈 ) ;

)

martinhutch

There are some question marks of the durability of GCs in rocky/loose stuff. But I run them on the rear with a Captain on the front for most riding.

Yak

I like ground controls. Reckon they strike the line between grip and speed well and whilst can be a bit drifty, they are ‘nicely’ drifty.

Northwind

I really like the Captain on the back. Little bit slidy on wet stone and the like but it’s very grippy for its speed ime. Or very fast for its grip. Not massively tough, though. Replaced an Ardent which was kind of similiar but less good (unless you like sliding in corners- certainly felt like I was going faster!)

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have tried many a tyre over the years and I am finally happy for the last 3 years I have been using a Purgatory at the front and a captain at the rear on both my bikes all year round.
    This combo is not going to change for me

jairaj

I used to run a pair of Captains on XC hardtail a few years back. Took a while for me to get the right set up but once I did I liked them. I found they were pretty good for most things as long as it was dry or damp. When things got wet I found them a bit nervous. I was running the super light sworks version, the side walls are a little thin and flimsy and I’m a bit chubby so had to put a few more psi and found the side wall got pinched and cut a little bit.

devash
    Free Member

I think I’ll give a GC or Captain a go then. Is there any added benefit in running a smaller tyre (2.1) out back or should I stick with a 2.3?

Yak

Your patch looks nicely rocky. Go 2.3

flatpat
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a Captain 2.3?

colournoise

Purg/Purg on the hardtail.
    Purg/Captain on the Alpine.

Both rear tyres have coped well with the relatively little winter mud we’ve had. Both have survived rocky Peaks/Lakes rides. Both offer a decent payoff between weight/grip/speed (Purg a bit grippier/Captain a bit faster).

Both have been ripped by the mighty roots of Chicksands.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Defo go for grid sidewall if you can, far better for rocky riding than control.

StuE
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a Captain any more? Can’t see it on their website

devash
    Free Member

Defo go for grid sidewall if you can, far better for rocky riding than control.

I’m running a Purg Grid on the back at the moment so may move that to the front and go with a Ground Control Grid rear. The weight penalty seems negligible for the extra protection.

Is there such a thing as a Captain any more? Can’t see it on their website

Just noticed that too StuE, perhaps they’ve been discontinued or replaced?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre advice – Ground Control, Captain or something else?’ is closed to new replies.