Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rear suspension pivot, side to side play….
  • mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Is this normal?

I’ve noticed a crack sound that comes from the rear somewhere when i put the power down, and noticed the side to side play in that pivot. I thought the pivot bolt was lose but in tightening it have sheared it off 🙁

Anyway is that amount of play in that area normal, anything to worry about? It looks like it’s worn the paint away maybe which has now caused the exesive play. Any tips or words of wisdom?

Cheers all 🙂

transporter13
    Free Member

Bloody hell….i cant even see the bush that should be inside that….the pivot bolt should go through a hardened plastic top hat bush.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Hahahaha There’s nothing in it, in that video, but when these things (pictured) were in and tight, there was still lateral movement.

edit: not sure image is working embeded…. click this https://www.dropbox.com/s/iaq9tz3r0fzqd01/20150817_153454.jpg?dl=0

Should there be something else?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Here, hopefully this picture will embed if it’s to do with size….

Should there be something else to take up that lateral movement?

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Maybe not…. Anyone know why pictures won’t embed? I’m trying to use public Dropbox links.

MartynS

That’s not right…have you had those pivots replaced or has it always done that?
    Really looks like a spacer or something is missing
    I only ask because I replaced the bearings on the GF’s bike and didn’t realise there were bearing covers. Cue a nasty rummage through the bin for the bits I’d thrown out…

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

No never replaced. Bike is under a year old. The video is without the pivot bolt in. The parts that are installed are in the Dropbox picture link. But even with remote installed the lateral as is pretty much the same.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Definitely something missing….

transporter13
    Free Member

It should have something very similar to this….most horst links are like this.
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/giant/649522d1319848143-giant-nrs-horst-bushings-01-03-bushing-sleeve-kit.jpg

It consists of 2 top hat bushes and a central sleeve that your bolts will go through..the bushes stop the chain stay from moving within the seat stay.

benpinnick

Looks Like its missing 2 Washers. Need to be thick enough to fill the gaps either side, but small enough they only contact the inner race edge.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

There is a pivot bearing still in the frame by the way, this bolt I’ve sheared off goes through the bearing in the frame.

What would the missing washers be made out of? Plastic? Could they wear away? This is very odd.

I can see this being the end of my bike, knowing how hard it it to get Halfords to get spares for these things 🙁

transporter13
    Free Member

Have you looked at the other pivot…on the other side of the bike?…undo the bolt and have a look at whats there…then just search the net for identical pieces.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Ok, a bit more investigation and I think my setup is very similar to the below picture, only my bolt is tapered. This setup shows a couple of plastic lookin washers either side of the bearing. I guess these are missing from mine. Great…. Pretty sure I’ll have a hard time convincing them they have never been there. I know my bike was stripped and loctited a few weeks after owning. Now, either they were never there, were removed and not put back at the time of this loctite session, or they have worn away and fallen out..

transporter13
    Free Member

It looks like you are not the first person to have this issue…after a little googling i found this
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/boardman-spares-not-available/page/2

Have a read through…it shows the part codes that you can quote instore.

bigrich

it flexes without the pivot bits in is just manufacturing tolerances.

email boardman direct, or find one of the halfords where the bike staff are riders.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

@bigrich. I think the problem these days is, Halfords is Boardman.

I’ll wait to see what happens. They have orders me some parts in to see what comes in the kit but basically had no idea.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Just for completeness of this thread (threads that are left hanging do my nut in) 🙂

It seems the bearing has developed play in the frame. Whether its worn something away in the frame so it can no longer sit tight and still, i don’t know, but something isn’t right.

The rear triangle cant be replaced as one cant be bought, so its looking like a full new frame!

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

New frame had 🙂

My bike is like Triggers brush!

wwaswas

New frame had

under warranty?

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Yes, all sorted very quickly too. 🙂

wwaswas

cool 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rear suspension pivot, side to side play….’ is closed to new replies.