Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear sus repair – advice?
  • wanderer
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2001 bike which I need to continue using until I finish my current cycle scheme and can get a new mtb bike. It still has the original fox float which has not been holding pressure. I’ve just replaced all the seals and no joy… if I pump it up to 100psi by the time I’m 1/2 into a ride it will bottom out. Any other advice as to where it may be leaking?
    Thanks.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced all the seals and no joy

Which ones? air can main seals or valve as well? might be worth replacing the valve core if you haven’t already.
    While you had it apart did you check for any excessive wear/damage as well that might stop it sealing properly?

A bit of soapy water can often help expose a leak, but depends how slow and small it is…

wanderer
    Free Member

I did the main can air seals, not the main valve. Can you explain which bit is the valve core? The body seems to be in quite good shape actually. Cleaned it all with isopropyl alcohol. It seems to leak quickly with high pressure but then slows/stops. Thanks!

singlespeedstu

Pump it up and hold it under water in the sink.
    That may help you find where it’s leaking from.

amedias
    Free Member

Can you explain which bit is the valve core?

The valve which you use to inflate the shock should be a standard schrader valve (car type), they all have a removable core (the bit with the sprung pin in it), it’s not uncommon for them to start leaking after a few years if the tiny internal seal gets damaged or perished, they can also occasionally just come a tiny bit loose and need tightening. You need a little tool to remove the core but should be able to pick up both the tool and core at any automotive parts place, bike shop or even a Halfords, or rob one form a tube if needs be.

Did you also make sure everything was lubed correctly when re-assembled? dry seals are not only bad for wear/performance but can occasionally cause tiny leaks as well when things don’t quite mesh together properly.

Also, on fox shocks the actual valve assembly is simply screwed into the body and is a replaceable part, this is obvious on the older types as it’s nutted, but the newer ones screw in as well. There is an o-ring on the valve body (not core) where is seats into the shock body, this can also perish so might be worth checking that seal too, and again, check the valve is nipped up tight.

example older type:

example newer types:

you can see they both have o-ring where they fit.

It might be something more sinister but best to cover off the easy options first!

wanderer
    Free Member

Wow this is great help. I am going to take it off the bike now and see what I can find.

If this isn’t already on the hundredth page by the time i get back I’ll post and let you knwo how Im getting on. If it is I may start another thread… 😉

cheers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear sus repair – advice?’ is closed to new replies.