Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear shock setup woes.. help!
  • ichabod
    Free Member

I recently built up an Intense Tracer VP which came with a (used) RP23 HV shock. If I set the shock pressure to give the correct sag then it is way too soft and wallows around like mad.

I have scoured the internet and found details of some people experiencing similar issues but generally only heavier riders. I found a post on MTBR which detailed how to reduce the air can volume to increase ramp-up at the end of the stroke but I’m thinking this is not the issue.. I don’t just need ramp up at the end of the stroke but a firmer mid-range to prevent the wallowing.

Turning on pro-pedal helps but I would like the shock to be useable without it!

Could a blown seal or similar damage be causing this behavior? I noticed a small amount of oily residue around the pro pedal lever which dust tends to stick to. Alternatively, could I try and get the compression re-tuned to fix it? I’m trying to avoid expensive pro service and tuning if possible as the bike has already cost me enough! Pro service costs are insane – almost cheaper just to go out and buy a new shock.

The shock is labelled as low compression tune and the stroke length is 57mm and rear travel is 150mm.

Thanks for any info or advice!
    Dan

mrsi
    Free Member

I had the same issue with HV air shocks before on two bikes, I’m 12st so not exacty heavy but was having to run silly pressures to avoid blowing through the travel.

Reducing the can volume worked wonders for me, either by adding spacers or by packing the outer sleeve with grease to take up the volume (this is what I did on the advice of a helpful chap at mojo, worked a treat).

greeble
    Free Member

sounds like you need one of these
    http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Spring_Volume_Tuning_Kit.html

this will help with the problems you’re describing.
    switch the pro pedal on for climbing and off for the downs.

ichabod
    Free Member

I will give the air volume mod a try this weekend and see if it helps although I’m wondering if this will help much with support through the mid stroke?

ichabod
    Free Member

p.s. I’m only 10 stone so don’t think I should be to heavy for the intended weight range that the shock is tuned to!

ichabod
    Free Member

p.p.s for those interested, here is the link to a DIY air volumne mod: http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-spot-rp23-mod-503070.html

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve got an Orange Five with an extra high volume air can, and I had the exact same problem. It felt car park plush, but used all of it’s travel on small bumps. I weigh 70kg, yet it was using all of it’s travel all the time. Popped in the biggest volume reducer, and problem solved. I feel like it improved the mid stroke as well, the shock is still plush and active over the small stuff, but when you push on a bit it’s much more supportive. I run mine on level 3 propedal for climbing, then keep it completely open for the descents.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock setup woes.. help!’ is closed to new replies.