Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear Shock Questions (Eye to eye etc)
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Firstly i completely apologise if this has been covered, but i've checked on the search engine, tried looking through google etc and i can not find easy to udnerstand explanations of rear shocks.

The reason i'm asking is, i'm upgrading aspects of my current bike and the rear shock has come into the equation.

I have a 6inch suspension frame. So is there a standard 'eye to eye' for this? I've taken the presumption eye to eye is referring to the two screw points? Why does this matter?

Also if for example somebody explains there shock is:

140mm – 28mm Stroke

What does this mean?

I'm really sorry to be annoying with the questions, but i've asked on ehre before and the responses have always been top.

Thanks

TomO

100mphplus
    Free Member

140mm – 28mm means the shock is 140mm eye to eye with a 28mm stroke.

The 140mm is more or less a fixed length for the bike so any replacement shock must be the same length as a longer or shorter shock will completely mess up the geometry.

There is no standard shock length for 6" travel supsension it is all governed by the frame geometry / leverage ratio. For your 6" of travel I'm guessing you'll have a shock with ~50mm stroke giving a leverage ratio of ~ 3:1.

If you want a new shock you'll have to buy one of the same dimension, but I would recommend a Fox Float RP2 or RP23.

fivespot
    Free Member

Here we go…..140mm as per your example is the distance between the two bolt holes that would mount your shock to a frame. The 28mm stroke is the total amount the shock will compress, ie. this example shock will compress down to 112mm i2i.

There is no std. i2i for a 6" or any other thravel bike. The shock ratio and geometry of a frame are designed around a specific shock length and stroke. If you were to fit a shock of the wrong length or stroke, you would end up with altered geometry and in some cases the rear wheel or suspension coming in contact with the frame.

Your best bet is to say what your frame is, and chances are someone on here will know what your shock dimensions are, and maybe advise on a suitable shock for your rquirements.

fivespot
    Free Member

Bit slow a typing… 🙄

GSuperstar
    Free Member

And i was proved correct with instant good responses so thank you 🙂

I have a Pitch Pro, my RP2 has recently just given up and with it costing £90 to have it fixed i am in the dilemma of whether or not it's worth it?

A brand new one on sale is only 150, which may be double, but obviously is brand new. My second option is to swap out for a coil shock which for some reason have always majorly appealed to me.

So in theory, if i was to measure the eye 2 eye of my current RP2, on my Pitch right now, this would be the desired length i require?

In regards to the 'compression of say 23mm', does this change depending on the eye 2 eye mm, or is it possible to have the following from my previous example:

140mm – 28mm Stroke

140mm – 56mm Stroke (Made up for the sake of the question)

If the answer is yes it can be different, what issues arise?

Thanks again everyone this is much appreciated.

TomO

fivespot
    Free Member

Stroke length does'nt always change with i2i length. For example, your Pitch Pro (I think) has an i2i of 200mm and a stroke of 57mm. But you can also get a 200mm i2i with 50mm stroke.

If you are considering an air shock, I have a 2009 Fox RP23 200X57 for sale. Medium compression and rebound tune. It is in mint conditon, having been bought by me from new a few months ago. It has done 2 rides aound Llandegla (25 mile tops)For sale as I have indulged in a Cane Creek Double Barrel 😆

Shock £165 posted Special Delivery insured.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Fivespot – Once again thanks mate for all the info it's more than appreciated. With the stroke, i know 7mm is nothing at all, so why would it be available in 2 options?

I'm actually pretty interested in your offer. If you're not in a major rush i'll try and have an answer for you by the end of this weekend? (Just so i can work out that the Pitch is definitely that size, and whats best for me and my wallet) 🙂

TomO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Be aware that as well at i2i and stroke dimensions, shocks have different levels of damping and Pro-Pedal inside….

If you look on the sticker on the shock there should be a little 3 bar graph indicating compression or rebound tune, and pro pedal tune. I know the RP2 on my Pitch has this. It would be wise to get a new shock with the same tune!

fivespot
    Free Member

GSuperstar….7mm multiplied by a 3:1 leverage ratio will give the best part of an inch extra travel on some bikes. If you check some of the shock manufacturers web sites, you will find a multitude of various shock sizes, all to suit the demands of various frame builders. Some of the popular sizes i can think of are 165×38, 190×50, 200×50, 200×57, 215×63, 222×68 and so on.

P.S. I've mailed you reg. RP23.

lowey

If its an RP2 might be worth getting it pushed.

greeble
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock Questions (Eye to eye etc)’ is closed to new replies.