• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by marc.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear shock – pressure starting point
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’m building up a new-to-me bike which was shipped without air in the rear shock. I’ve worked out how to use the supplied pump, but what sort of pressure should I put in it? I’ve put around 150psi in it for now, but I’ve no idea if that’s too much or too little.

By the way, I’m about 11 stone, and it’s a front-wheel-drive recumbent bike, so probably a little more weight over the front wheel than the rear. I haven’t put the seat on it yet, so I’m not sure how much movement is in it, plus there doesn’t seem to be a rubber O-ring around the shock.

teethgrinder

Enough to get 25-30% sag, depending on bike and riding style. Use a bit of clean grease as sag indicator if you haven’t got a spare o-ring to slip over the end.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 2 cents

The rubber O ring is for setting the sag, I don’t think it has another purpose. So if you can add one before attaching it to the bike thats useful. As for pressure yes 150 is ok but its not critical as long as you don’t jump around on the seat until you have determined its not going to bottom out too easily.

nickjb
    Free Member

Old school rule of thumb was your weight in pounds so 150 is a good place to start (but the geometry of a recumbent could mean it’s totally different)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

PSI numbers mean nothing so long as you are bwlow the max, as you haven’t said what shock it is I’ve used a range from about 100 to 300 over the years.

Set by sag, shock fully open (locks etc) and aim for 250-30% for a vague starting point. Go for a ride and adjust as required and have a go at setting the rebound. If you google your bike name you should get a manual for it with basic (very basic) shock settings – nothing more than a guide. Suspension is set by feel.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much. I hadn’t thought about using grease, so I’ll give it a whirl once I have the seat fitted.

I don’t think the shock has a label on it. According to the bike manufacturer’s website it’s an upgrade over the standard coil spring shock, and it’s 150mm with 30mm of travel.

marc
    Free Member

Cable ties work well as indicators too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock – pressure starting point’ is closed to new replies.