Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rear Shock options?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Hi gang
    Looking to change my rear shock in the new year (early) and need some help/advice. I’m riding an Intense 6.6 currently setup with a 5th Elephant Coil shock (which is good for the odd uplift/DH day) and want to go for something lighter which will cover everything. I’m a 14st fairly smooth rider and like to get a little bit of air..
    On the list of options I have:
    CC DB Air
    Fox RP 23
    RS Vivid Air
    RS Monarch +
    Bos Vipr 2
    What’s the STW thoughts? Have I missed anything out? Got a budget of around £500..
    Cheers
    Steve

fivespot
    Free Member

You forgot Fox Float X 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Have you considered a second hand dhx which should be cheap as people slate them. Then send it to avalanche in the state’s fir an ssv upgrade and custom tune.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Just bought a 2014 monarch rc3 plus, not tried it yet but had great reviews if that helps?

chris_db
    Free Member

When I asked TFT a similar question I came away with a Push Tuned Van RC (which I put a titanium spring on). The reason was that unless you know exactly what you are doing with all the tuning options on a CCDB or similar you are as well to get something simple.

So far it has served me perfectly. Fit and forget, service once a year.

Chris

stevied
    Free Member

Ah yes, the Float X, forgot about that one 😉
    Will look into the AVA option, heard good things, might be an option.
    What are you putting the RC3 on mate? Be interested to hear what you think..

jairaj

While I love my BOS Vipr, I’m not sure thats the correct shock for you from the BOS range. I think a Kirk or Void are more suitable for you.

stevied
    Free Member

Kirk is out of my price range and the Void won’t fit. They don’t do it in 200mm x 57mm. Had a reply from Cane creek about the DB and they don’t think it will fit.
    There’s one option gone then, list getting shorter

gixerator
    Free Member

I have a 197×57 RP2 DRCV if of interest.

Would have to check your linkage as its a wide unit

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

The monarch plus rc3 I’ve ordered is 200×57 going on a 2013 zesty with a new pike 160mm on the front
    I’ve gone 50mm stem 800mm bars stronger wheels 2.4 tyres so kind of a half zesty/spicy mix

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks gixer but ideally looking to buy new.
    Sounds a bit like my build Chris, 160 Vans, Flows with 2.5 & 2.3 max is, 50mm stem . Be interested to hear how you get on. What are you replacing?

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’m replacing an RP23 boost valve kashima, standard was a bit naf, had loco tune it and low friction DU bushes, improved it loads but still find blows through the travel and pro pedal is poor.

poah
    Free Member

Just to add to this – having used a 2014 RC3 and a pushed van rc on my ghost, the air shock is not a patch on the coil. It’s almost a lb lighter and you can add more compression with a flick of the lever but that’s it.

stevied
    Free Member

Just got back from my 2nd ride on my Pushed CTD and it felt much more controlled on the downhill stuff. Climbing is also far better now using the climb setting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock options?’ is closed to new replies.