Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear shock on Five issues
  • pnik

Got a 2012 Five with the original RP23 shock, which went back to mojo once for being wallowy and blowing through the travel, a volume reducer was inserted and a some valves replaced under warrenty, but it has start e d doing it again, i know you bottom out from time to time, but what happened then and is happpenng now is not just ejection of the o ring, but also the tyre contacts the seat tube making an unpleasant sound/feeling. There are black scorch marks on the frame from when it happened originally, its almost like the shock is beyond fully compressed.

Any thoughts recommendations, is it worth getting the shock serviced again? Or it is time for something more tolerant, also is there a problem with the frame or does it acome back to the shock, as for the 3 years in between, i’ve bottomed out but not had the tyre contact. I ended up leavig propedal on for the rest of the ride yesterday and it didnt do it again.

26″ stans flows with old 2.2 rubber queen ust, so not the fattest rubber in the world.

Del

is it just leaking air out the valve?

pnik

I dont think so, surely a bottom out is a bottom out though regardless of the air pressure, i suppose more air still has a slighly larger volume fully compressed. But still the tyre shouldnt contact the frame though surely.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

That shouldn’t happen.

whyme
    Free Member

I take it the shock is the correct one ie 190×50 and there are no offset bushes. Is there a bump stop in the shock?.
    If I let all the iar ot of my shock and compress it right up to the bump stop there is still a gap between ther rear tyre and seat tube.

pnik

It is the shock it came with originally, as i said it did it ealry days and it sent the shock off to mojo, the problem has recently returned, which suggests it is the shock somehow, compressing beyond its normal limits, in the interveneing time i had occasions where the oring fell off the end of the shock but not the tyre/seat tube interface.

Assuming it will cost at least 100 for a shock service and that this is the second time it has happened should i be looking at getting a different shock, or am i misdiagnosing a frame alignment issue. I havent measured/checked although i thought the five took a 200×50 .

poah
    Free Member

190×50 for the 5

pnik

Ok, dont think its a wrong shock issue as such, as i say supplied by orange new. Presumably the bump stop is internal, is it possible for it to be dislodged? Now going to see if i can find a rp23 exploded diagram of on the fox site.

coatesy
    Free Member

RP23 bump-stop is a rubber O-ring on the internal shaft, visible with the air-can removed, but not replaceable without a full strip. I have seen them get mashed, but it’s a pretty rare occurence, and more likely to be caused by a problem than being the cause itself.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock on Five issues’ is closed to new replies.