Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rear Shock loosing pressure over time
  • rosario144
    Free Member

Last year i bought a new frame (Giant Trance) and rode for around 2 months, after new baby i had a forced stop of around 14 months were the bike has been parked in the garage. This weekend took the bike out and did a small service and after checking the pressure of the rear shock notice that dropped from 180 to 110 in the last 14 months. Is this normal? I need a service? Just done 500 miles with this shock.

rosario

deadkenny
    Free Member

What’s the shock?

Though sat around for 14 months without use it will probably go down a little. Pump up and see how it goes. If it drops again, service.

An air can service is very simple service in many cases. Fox for example, buy the seal and oil kit which is fairly cheap, and just look up their service video which is pretty much take out air, remove shock, pop off air can, clean, replace seals, oil, pop it back together again.

IA

How do you know it dropped? Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs, but how much does the reading normally drop to when you reconnect the pump?

E.g. pump to 180, disconnect (completely) and reconnect the pump, what does it read now? It won’t be 180, as the air has to fill the pump.

If you know all the above already, carry on….

deadkenny
    Free Member

^ Valid point.

rosario144
    Free Member

The Shock is a Shock Fox Float CTD Evolution, the pressure dropped from last year when was 180, after 14 months of storage is now 110.

rosario144
    Free Member

My question: is normal for the shock to loose air while in storage for 14 months.

IA

Sorry, I’ll rephrase my question:

Is 180 the pressure you inflated it to?

Is 110 the pressure reading when you connected the pump just now?

If the answer’s “yes” to both of those, the pressure didn’t drop to 110. It dropped to 110 + whatever the loss is when you connected the pump – which might be 180.

So do this test: inflate to 180, remove pump, reattach and take a reading. It won’t be 180, it’ll be less.

To answer your question – I’d expect a little air loss.

In typical STW style I’m ignoring your question and asking if is really lost 70 psi or it’s just the error reconnecting the pump.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Yes, perfectly normal. Inflate and carry on.

Its the tiny amount of air held in those shocks at very high pressure. A small air loss will result in a significant pressure change.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have thought it was normal. Most things will leak air over time slowly. Very high pressure and small volume will make it more obvious.

I’d say pump it up, ride it and see if it gets softer over time.

breadcrumb

I don’t think its abnormal.

Just keep an eye on it, maybe give it an air sleeve service.

rosario144
    Free Member

Clear now,
    thanks

dirtydog
    Free Member

Or air can could be loose, to check, remove air, tighten air can (should be firm hand tight) and reinflate.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock loosing pressure over time’ is closed to new replies.