Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear Shock Bushing q: 8mm or M8 + length confusion
  • wwaswas

Bought a bargain Fox Float in the Mojo sale and now looking for some mounts for a Salsa Bucksaw.

Measured the existing shock mount hardware (Rock Shox Monarch) and it comes out as 8mm internal on both with the front having a 22mm width and the rear 38mm.

Looking at the Mojo site they list kits for both M8 and 8mm. I think I want the M8 as it’s an alloy sleeve and the 8mm is steel but is that right?

Also, they don’t list the same sizes;

http://www.mojo-store.co.uk/low-friction-fox-shock-bush-m8-c2x19537385

So do I need a 37.69 or 38.61 and 21.84 or 22.2?

TFTuned seem to list exact lengths on their site which makes it even more confusing…

https://www.tftuned.com/tf-tuned-mount-kit-127mm-m8/p2937

The shock comes with the plastic sleeves fitted in the eyes and I’d rather not remove those – will the TFTuned kit work with those or only their own ones?

wwaswas

*ahem*

wwaswas

Anyone?

I used a digital caliper so fairly sure my measurements are correct and they agree with figures on Salsa website.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vmgscot

By ‘plastic sleeves fitted’ it sounds like you probably already have polymer eyelet bushes fitted in the shock. Those two hardware kits you point to replace those polymer bushes with low-friction bushes, as well as provide the spacers you need.

If you want to use the polymer bushes then you need ‘top hat’ spacers to fit your dimensions. That’s all assuming I understand what you have already correctly.

I’ve used the TF Tuned kits and they have lasted well for me but it would mean extracting the existing polymer bushes (not difficult if you have access to the tool – I got a cheap one off ebay a while back).

wwaswas

yes, I’ve got the yellow plastic bits fitted.

The ‘axle’ bit from the RS shock fits but the spacers that go on the axle between the eyelet and the frame are to long (the RS shock’s eylet bush is flush with the outsode of the hole so the spacers are too wide for use with the Fox shock).

I assumed I had to buy the whole kit – where can I just by the washers/spacers to go on the ‘axle’ I already have for those lengths?

I’ve got the yellow bits in this pic, the bit that goes through the eye as an axle but not the spacers on the outside of the yellow.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you tried BETD, those look very similar to their “strong” bushes. I’ve used them for years and they last pretty well. Also, because its BETD they’ll likely have the sizes you need.

vmgscot

Yellow plastic bits – sounds like you already have the low friction bushes fitted rather than the polymer type I was thinking. I’d just order the TF full kit as those yellow bits will come out easy enough (no special tool needed).

or… if the existing mount kit works then you could pop a couple of standard polymer ‘flush’ bushes into the new fox shock … like these?

https://www.tftuned.com/polymer-eyelet-bushings-127mm-bag-of-4/p516

Potdog
    Free Member

Just ring TFT tell them what you have and what bike it’s for and they’ll tell you what you need. Simples.

wwaswas

Contacted Mojo, was advised to buy the closest size to the measurement, arrived today – fitted shock to bike and all seems ok.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock Bushing q: 8mm or M8 + length confusion’ is closed to new replies.