Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear shifting woes
  • votchy
    Free Member

New chain, new rear mech, new cassette, new rings up front and new cable and I can't get the rear to shift properly, rear mech is the one where the spring pulls the mech to an easier gear, if I adjust it so the mech shifts to a higher gear sweetly ie push shifter to the click and it changes gear then changing down is iffy, requiring a double down shift then a quick up shift, if I loosen the adjuster off to get a sweet down shift then I have to go 2 clicks on the upshift followed by a single down shift – anyone any ideas as to the cause?

XT mech, cassette and shifters btw

wwaswas

have a look on parktools site – the setup process for rapid-rise is different to normal.

lowey

Hmmm, I;d have said cable, but you have replaced that. What cable did you use ?

I had similar problems with rapid rise but solved them by using XTR cables.

Could be a bent hanger or chainstays ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    votchy
    Free Member

Cable is also XT, bike is an Orange 5

Cheers wwaswas, will have a look

gusamc
    Free Member

may not be of help but on my 5/XT my (very good)RR suddenly became crap, traced to the end ferrule on cable being bent and stopping inner cable moving smoothly and easily. Try talkng inner off mech and ensuring that if moves easily when gear changing up and down, could also try lubricating it.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

No reason it wouldn't work with a regular stainless steel cable.

Make sure the cable/outer routing is smooth as per Orange's specs and it curves nicely around to the rear mech – not too sharp a bend nor too long. Check the outer is seated into the ferrules properly and, if needed, file or grind the ends of the outers square.

I'd bet that it's possible the mech hanger isn't aligned properly but you need an alignment tool to check that – you can't really do it by eye.

As suggested, read up on the Park Tools site or on Sheldon Brown. Set the highs and lows with the chain off and do the "b" screw adjustment properly too.

Good luck 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup cable routing and kinks in inner?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear shifting woes’ is closed to new replies.