Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Rear road rim for summer "best"…
  • cookeaa

I have an old 24h hub in the garage in perfectly good working order, sadly the wheel it came from was not that robust

So I am thinking of rebuilding it for summer, current contenders are:

H-plus son archetype
    Velocity A23
    And maybe a parenting SL23 (if I stretch the budget a bit.

Anything else I should consider?

akira

Superstar have some clearance rims, worth a look.

njee20
    Free Member

Stan’s Alpha? I’ve got 400s as they were the same ERD as the worn out Bontrager rims. seem good.

globalti
    Free Member

Not Superstar; their kit is cheap and light but you can’t have cheap, light and strong all at once. Go figure.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Apart from the fact they’re selling branded rims in a sale.

Nowt like jumping in with both feet and making wild assumptions.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Velocity A23
    And maybe a parenting SL23 (if I stretch the budget a bit

I had problems with my Velocity’s after a while; spoke pulled through the rim. Sounds like a commonish issue. I believe the SL23’s might/did suffer the same.

Archetypes for the win.

Don’t go with anything too light; it won’t be very stiff with only 24 spokes.

r1chardh
    Free Member

I’ve been very pleased with Archetypes, albeit 28/32 spokes. They look great and their width gives a nice round profile on 23, 25 and 28mm tyres.

Just in case (and seeing as we are on an mtb forum) these were tubeless recs from a local wheelbuilder (www.noble-wheels.com):

DT Swiss R460 – 23mm wide, 25mm deep, tubeless ready (non welded join)
    BOYD Altamont 2014 – 24mm wide, 30mm deep, tubeless ready (non welded join)
    DT Swiss RR511 – 24mm wide, 32mm deep, tubeless ready (welded join)
    Pacenti SL23 – 24mm wide, 25mm deep, tubeless ready (welded join)

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Archetype’s on the training bike that I built up on some ultegra hubs. Really like them, nice wheels. Only criticism is that breaking is a bit poor compared to the OpenPro they replaced. What pads are folks using with theirs?

Bit heavy for summer best. Some nice LB carbon rims maybe?

xyeti
    Free Member

Njee, how are you finding the Alphas? How many spokes which hubs etc?

Are you running these tubeless and what bike are they on? Road or CX.

I’ve noticed that some bikes are running wider tyres for both road and CX, wasn’t sure whether to try something slightly wider. I’m looking at these for my Arc X, also require some better cantis as these Avid 4’s are terrible. I’ve noticed many of your posts seem quite well informed so interested in your opinion.

Daffy

H-Plus Son Archetypes can be had in 24hole.

I’m running my Archetypes tubeless with 35c tyres at between 50 and 60psi

cookeaa

Some good suggestions, cheers all.

I have some body mass to lose before summer, otherwise a 24h wheel really isn’t going to be a good idea…

I Will be wanting to get a reasonable balance of strength vs weight, ideally I would have a 28h hub, but I reckon 24 might just work…

I am drifting towards the archetype at the minute, 20g heavier than most of the others isn’t too much, and I would hope it equates to a slightly stronger rim…

Bit heavy for summer best. Some nice LB carbon rims maybe

Differing definitions of “best” No doubt, for the likes of me a ~£50 rim is on the posher side, LB is tempting but probably a bit OTT for me…

Next question will of course be spokes… Sapim race? Or should I consider something plain gauge?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Archtypes and DT swiss R460 rims for me (not that I try to keep both in stock at all times lol)

But seriously I would use Archtypes were ever poss as Suffolk’s a bit pot holey.

Sam

Another vote for Stan’s Alpha’s. I’ve been using them (in 28h F&R) on the good bike for the last few months and am really impressed. Not tried tubeless on them yet but intend to once I wear out the Corsa SCs which are on there – though I do love those tyres….

mrblobby
    Free Member

I used DT comp for my build. If it’s summer wheels and the budget permits then DT Revs would be my choice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sapim Race; Revs will be too flexy for a 24 hole build. No advantage in PG spokes. Stans Alphas are ****.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Revs will be too flexy for a 24 hole build

So when the OP said he needed to shift a bit of weight… 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So when the OP said he needed to shift a bit of weight…

😀 I think they’d be too flexy for anyone at any weight. Maybe with some thicker spokes on the DS…

cannondaleking
    Free Member

no problems with rev’s on the rear of my wheel dave 13st and 24h and definitely no flex aivee hubs and archtype rims.

cookeaa

The goal is to get down to ~75kg in the next three months or so…

Shouldn’t put too much stress on 24 slighty butted spokes should it?… Right?…

cannondaleking
    Free Member

you’ll be fine with either DB or rev’s as long as you get a good wheel builder to carry out the work fella.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No; just aslong as they’re not revs or lazers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Any “good” wheel builder will not spec revs on the DS anyway.

freeagent
    Free Member

If you are challenged in the body mass dept (100kg here) i’d struggle to recommend Archetypes.
    I’ve got them on my roadie (32H rear 28H front) built onto Hope hubs.
    The front has been fine, but the rear has lost tension and gone out of true a couple of times. I do have my suspicions that the original build was a bit sh*t (big mail order wheel builder based up North and often mentioned on here) however my LBS has managed to sort it out.
    I’d not buy them again.. I’ll probably try Pacenti next time.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Dt 240s and alpha 340 on my summer bike , 28 hole rear and 24 front for a durable set up with Dt rev all round and prolock hex head nipples , rims are getting pretty worn now due to mileage and have been perfect. Had them tubless mostly and retensioned them after the tyres went on.
    Just need to take the time to get the tension right and even.
    Best add in only 60kg.

Helps if you use a spoke holder when building

gray

I recently built up a Pacenti SL23 24 spoke rear. I’m 75 kg at the moment, though often a bit over 80. I used Sapim CX-RAY spokes with nipple washers to aim for max strength and limit the chance of spokes pulling through. Haven’t had a chance to ride it yet, but I reckon this combination *should* be tough enough for someone my size…

Daffy

davidtaylforth – Member
    Any “good” wheel builder will not spec revs on the DS anyway.

I’ve heard this before, but haven’t seen ANY evidence to support it, just a load of froth about how flexy the individual spokes are.

For what it’s worth, I’m using DT Revs on most of my wheels and haven’t noticed ANY difference over the COMPs. There’s certainly not enough flex to notice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Gain some weight or try a bit harder 😉

Or maybe you have very stiff rims?

brassneck

I’ve got a set of Archetype’s on the training bike that I built up on some ultegra hubs. Really like them, nice wheels. Only criticism is that breaking is a bit poor compared to the OpenPro they replaced. What pads are folks using with theirs?

Disk ones 🙂

I didn’t think Archetypes were all that light? I bought them as bombproof and tarty looking 😀

spooked
    Free Member

I recently built up some Kinlin XR31T. Reasonably aero, nice and stiff. Ride really well and not a bad price.

Can be run tubeless too if thats your thing and also nice and wide.

maxlite
    Free Member

I’ve a set of 20/24 hole archetype’s with Miche Primato hubs/Sapim Laser Race spoke’s. They have been brilliant….I’m 62kg

njee20
    Free Member

Njee, how are you finding the Alphas? How many spokes which hubs etc?
    Are you running these tubeless and what bike are they on? Road or CX

Only done 1000 miles or so, but they’re good. I built them into a pair of Bontrager RXL wheels with worn rims, so they’re technically straight pul DT240s, 20/24 hole, aerolite/aero speed bladed spokes. I used brass nips. They built nicely, feel good.

Using them on the road, with 23c tubed Fusion 3s currently, although I need to swap to 4 Seasons as they’re on the winter bike. The 23c tyre definitely came up slightly ’rounder’ than on the RXL rims, which were probably 15mm internal (2006 vintage wheel set). Hard to really say. Braking is better, but the Bontragers were very worn. I’d have them again.

djflexure

DT RR440 asymmetric – have them on my summer and winter bikes. Lots to like.

Prefer them to the Archetypes – just did not like the way the brake pad takes the anodising off.

cookeaa

Hmmm, lots to consider I have to say the alpha 340 does have some appeal, it is silly light.

But then I need to be a bit more sensible, I am am extremely unlikely to get down to sub 70kg, which I think I would have to be for a rim that light, a ~450-475g rim would be reasonably likely to take the strain especially if the profile is a little deeper, and I won’t be using spokes with a section under 1.8mm…

Those Kinlin look interesting, similar weight to the archetype, the alpha 400 might get a look in, I have time to browse, so I shall.

mrblobby
    Free Member

more sensible, I am am extremely unlikely to get down to sub 70kg, which I think I would have to be for a rim that light, a ~450-475g rim would be reasonably likely to take the strain especially if the profile is a little deeper, and I won’t be using spokes with a section under 1.8mm…

Seriously doubt that most riding those rims are sub 70kg 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Rear road rim for summer "best"…’ is closed to new replies.