Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rear rack for a disc hard tail.
  • Marin
    Free Member

Has anyone got a decent rear rack that would hold panniers for a bit of touring on a hard tail with disc brakes 27.5 wheel size? Google search come up with a few but only commuter style ones. Would prefer pannier to frame bags etc as really looking at riding river/canal path style.

tjagain

tubus are the best at a high price

Others that I have tried are distinctly second best

scotroutes

Does the frame have rack mounts?

Choice of rack will likely depend on rack mount/caliper placement. For instance, I couldn’t get a Tubus to for my Amazon, even with their so-called disk adaptor. A Topeak Super Tourist DX fitted just fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

How much weight are you trying to carry?

Seatpost rack (Topeak MTX)and P-clip some extra struts down to the seatstays.#bodgetastic 🙂

tjagain

I have put non disc racks on multiple disc braked bikes – its no issue generally – just space the mounting out a few mm. The topeak dx rack works but is really heavy and clunky so I swapped it for a tubus

shermer75
    Free Member

What’s a commuter style rack?

whatgoesup

Not sure it’s worth over-thinking, the most important thing is to get one that fits, i.e. it’s a well equipped shop job rather than on-line.

However, I’ve used the same rack on my 26″ On-One 456 and then moved it onto a 29″ scandal (both with proper rack mounts). Both disc braked – the 456 calliper was right in the way. I didn’t like using spacers so bent the rack instead and it worked just fine.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a disk rack that i might even sell…

wilbert

Does anyone know if the Thule pack n pedal is any good. Seems expensive to me but should fit most bikes with seat stays.

garage-dweller

If you are looking at the Topeak disk rack just beware that it has a big footprint at the drop out. So if your rack mounts are close to the axle (as they are on my on-one) then it will not (in my case)/may not fit.

Oddly I could fit the standard one with just a single 2mm thick washer behind!

The other factor that might affect choice is the relative position of the rack mount hole and the brake caliper and also the caliper shape. If I put my old mono M4’s on the on-one the rack is basically impossible to fit. Shimano brakes on the now sit right out of the way.

steezysix
    Free Member

Recently got a tubus Vega protect from Germany: Link
    Really nice rack and a fair bit cheaper than the regular Vega, although the guy at the shop wasn’t sure why! Comes with all the fitting bits and is steel so will last better than aluminium.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have an Axiom streamliner deluxe disc rack for sale if interested

benp1

My Topeak super tourist disc rack has been ace

Daily commuting use, shopping, child seat, folding milk crate, Topeak rack pack, panniers

Over two years use, over 5k miles, rock solid

Marin
    Free Member

Ta for the replies lots more to consider. Going to be on my Inbred probably so good advice garage-dweller. It’s a small frame so may have heel strike issues as well. Do On Ones ever die? Also will probably be upgraded to bigger wheels at one point. Thanks all.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Marin in all seriousness i have a rack that I’ve fitted to an inbred before.

Off the top of my head i can’t remember what it is but if you are interested i can dig it out.

Marin
    Free Member

Ta Josh but at some point it’s gotta fit on a 27.5 frame as well and the German shop/link sttezysix recommended has just got my sister’s Christmas present money for me. Thanks anyway e bay it young man.

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

Could try tailfin.cc
    Carbon Fibre

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rear rack for a disc hard tail.’ is closed to new replies.