Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Rear Mudhugger = Utter Rubish
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Went on my first ride this morning with my new mudhuggers fitted and I’m very disappointed. After reading loads of good stuff about them I bought some last week. The front is good but probably needs the extra extension piece to stop mud hitting my face when seated riding on flat terrain. It’s fine when standing as I’m further forward. The back is awful though. For one it looks terrible but I can forgive this and put it down to function over form. Whilst I had a perfectly clean back when I got home (you can argue it’s done its job) what I won’t be able to get used to is how every piece of mud and drop of water drips off the guard into the back brake and mech/cassette. The first sign of mud left the brakes screeching and the gears grinding like never before. Worst of all was the mud that ended up dripping down onto my heels and into the back of my shoes, I soon got fed up of that. I have had plenty of mudguards in the past and never had any problems. My mate who I rode with this morning bought some at the same time and had the same problems.
    I might look at cutting and reshaping the back one.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

what bikes were they on?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Both on chameleon’s

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Try asssaver extra wide, simple cheap and very light. Nothings 100% but these work for me to keep 80% of the crap from my butt

mattrgee
    Free Member

Mine works great. Perhaps not such a great fit on a chameleon?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Fits perfect it’s the shape that causes the problem.

wwaswas

Mine’s been fine, on a recent ride people were commenting how clean my cassette and rear mech were compared with theirs.

scotroutes

Assuming that all the crap should get spun off and exit the mudguard out the rear of the bike, I’d take this as a sign that you just weren’t riding fast enough.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have recently started using UBS on my drivetrain. The result is that my cassette, mech and chain look sparkly clean even when the wheels and frame are filthy. Including with the rear Mudhugger on. I don’t know how the UBS works but it seems to repel dirt. So that is a possible option for you.

andysredmini
    Free Member

In that case I wouldn’t need mudguard at all!!!

andysredmini
    Free Member

What’s ubs?

scotroutes
    thegreatape
    Free Member

Maybe, but it’s doing a good job so far, and is the product of choice for most folk I ride with.

scotroutes

Sorry – that wasn’t a dig. I’ve actually heard some good things about it and ScottOiler have a good, well-developed reputation.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s ok, it doesn’t put me up or down if my choices aren’t universally approved of 🙂

I was very sceptical too, even after putting it on the first time (imagine spraying skimmed milk all over your bike), but pleasantly impressed so far!

iainc

I got one a while back, to replace a crudguard one, but the lack of quick on and off has so far dissuaded me from fitting it. I cant use the crud anymore as not enough seatpost to clamp to with reverb, so have been using a muckynutz butt fender, which is more effective than I expected it to be.

Northwind

The scottoiler stuff makes a great deal of noise about how it washes off with water… Is that not just basically the definition of completely useless, for the UK?

stanleigh
    Free Member

I bought a set of mudhuggers a couple of weeks ago , after seeing how good they were on mates’ bikes.

Done 200+ muddy miles now , love ’em !

Best bit of winter kit I’ve bought in a long while . 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

It builds up over time (allegedly)

postierich
    Free Member

Do not even think about fitting the guard without the frame protection seeing that they hardly move they made a mess of my Canyon! Great mudguards but I ride lakeland wet trails so not that much mud around!

andysredmini
    Free Member

I stuck self adhesive foam under mine after seeing the pictures of wear caused by them moving slightly during use.
    They came with cable ties which is better than the Velcro they used to supply although the cable ties are not long enough to go around the fork lowers.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I have had plenty of mudguards in the past and never had any problems

So why change then? Surely that’s implying you have had problems.

I’ve got the front and rear with the additional extension for the front. I had to cut an additional pair of slots for the cable ties in the front guard to position it optimally. I’ve also used frame tape for both front and rear where the ties wrap around the frame. So OK a little bit of effort to set up, they’re expensive as they’re only bits of moulded plastic at the end of the day but they’re great. Very effective and have had them on my bike a few months now whilst seeing daily use.

They’re better than that overpriced carbon mudguard which I bought then thankfully saw sense and returned it for a refund.

rOcKeTdOg

The back is awful though. For one it looks terrible but I can forgive this and put it down to function over form. Whilst I had a perfectly clean back when I got home (you can argue it’s done its job) what I won’t be able to get used to is how every piece of mud and drop of water drips off the guard into the back brake and mech/cassette.

so it did it’s job, kept you nice and dry and mud free but you got a bit of mud on your brakes and bike, which it’s not designed to do?

yep, obviously rubbish 🙄

andysredmini
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the others I have used. I still have some on two other bikes and others have just looked rubbish or got lost in the garage after taking off after winter. Really though I Just fancied a new set and liked the look of the front one.

amplebrew

Just for those using USB…

The Scottoiler FS365 spray looks to be similar to their USB; but slightly cheaper and a larger bottle; up from 750ml to a litre.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If it was a bit I wouldn’t be complaining. I’m not precious over my bike and accept that wear and tear is an inevitable consequence of riding all through winter.

JCL
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a full skirt guard. Either that or take up road riding.

deadkenny
    Free Member

This is why I just ride with a muddy arse. No guards at the back means the tyre can spray the mud away, half up my back but I don’t care so long as it’s not in my face.

Flappy guards by the seatpost just bend and break off. Small ones to protect the shock are no point to me as I don’t have a stupid frame that puts the shock in the mud zone 😉 . Likewise front mech, I don’t have one.

Mudhugger I kind of was interested in because it attaches to the seatstay so no flappy rubbish, but makes perfect sense that it will just gather the mud inside it clogging up and/or deflect the mud down into the rear mech and brakes.

andysredmini
    Free Member

How do you know I ride in a skirt? I mainly do it on the road bike in the dark.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Really though I Just fancied a new set and liked the look of the front one.

Well just use the front one with whatever you were using on the back before the mudhugger . FWIW I think the front mudhugger is pants but the rear is great , probably depends what type of mud you have .

singlespeedstu

OP.
    If you stay at home when it’s wet you’ll not only have a clean drivetrain and back brake you’ll also save yourself the hassle of having to go outside in the winter.

emac65
    Free Member

They look sh!te,I’d rather get muddy……..

postierich
    Free Member

🙂

cookeaa

OP.
    If you stay at home when it’s wet you’ll not only have a clean drivetrain and back brake you’ll also save yourself the hassle of having to go outside in the winter.

Fundamentally yep, your problem isn’t the guards OP it’s the conditions…

Ride a bike in the mud, it gets muddy, what did you think was going to happen?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They look sh!te,I’d rather get muddy……..

& still look shite.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I ride in any conditions and most days. I don’t mind getting muddy and don’t care if the bike gets muddy. All I’m saying is that I didn’t expect the mud to fall from the mudguard onto the brakes and gears. I would rather have a muddy back.

bobbyspangles

I love mine, very effective and easy to fit. Stays put when barrelling down the trail too, which not many do.

rocketman
    Free Member

I like mine it works really well on the HT. First time in years I get back from a ride with just a bit of mud instead of being covered in it

Less than stellar results on the FS though I think there’s too much flex in the back end and the Mudhugger works itself loose

BoardinBob

IanC

I cant use the crud anymore as not enough seatpost to clamp to with reverb

Depending on your frame you may be able to use this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-defender-m2-rear/rp-prod32474

I used one of them and clamped it to the seatube between the seatpost clamp and the seat stays. Here it is on my old 456

I use a mudhugger now and never experienced any of the OPs problems and I’ve ridden in some horrific mud with it. It’s sturdy, reasonably stealthy and does what it’s supposed to do.

zippykona

Don’t forget to give a picture with your mudhugger on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Rear Mudhugger = Utter Rubish’ is closed to new replies.