Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rear mudguards with dropper posts?
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Hi

So what do people running droppers do about rear mudguards? I’ve always used crudguards but can’t see that working with a dropper as there isn’t enough of the base section exposed, plus it’s a stealth dropper so not easy to take it out to fit a bracket on anyway.

Thoughts/ideas?

Cheers

iainc

I have same issue as not enough of the non moving bit to get a crudcatcher mounted round. I bought a mudhugger, which is very effective, if cumbersome, although usually just use a mucky nutz ass fender on the saddle, which keeps the worst of the mess off my back

fadda

Yep, mudhugger here, too (x2, actually). Very effective, if amongst the worst of a bad bunch in the ugly stakes…

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations.

Does the standard mudhugger rear fit most frames? I want to put it on a Whyte T130 and probably one for the other halfs Trek Lush. Is the fitting pretty generic? I see there are some models specific to certain bikes so I guess it’s not one size fits all.

rocketman
    Free Member

The mudhugger is a visual aberration but it works. FWIW after experimenting with various ghetto dropper guards based on plastic bottles and inner tubes my Thomson and Oklo have both survived this winter with very little maintenance despite frequent intense neglect

Although they look exposed and vulnerable ime they’re quite robust

iainc

I put the standard rear one on my Soul (26) and it fits fine. You need to be very diligent with the helitape on the seatstays to avoid it eating up the paint….

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it’s one size-fits-everything-but-Orange isn’t it? With a warning not to fit it to a Bronson.

RoterStern
    Free Member

On my LEV there is more than enough space to attach a SKS shockboard type mudguard. I’ve put an old inner tube around it to protect the paintwork. Keeps the stanchion on the post clean,too.

slowoldman

I have a Topeak M2. The clamp fits (just) around the frame seat tube so works fine with a dropper.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The mudhugger is a visual aberration but it works

I’m honestly not convinced it’s worse than a crud-guard. Although that is setting the bar extremely low…

🙂

iainc

I tried the Topeak one around the seat tube, but noticed that even with a bit of inner tube under it, the paint was getting sanded away by grit, so took it off after a few rides.

rocketman
    Free Member

Does the standard mudhugger rear fit most frames?

It fits but whether it stays there or not is another question

Smooth tapered seatstays with no lugs are a problem I had to wrap mine in inner tube to give the mudhugger some purchase. The copter tape only protects the frame the guard has a tendency to walk down the stays esp if they move as in FS

No problems on bike #2 lugs on the seatstays stopped it from moving

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you have a couple of inches of seatpost sticking out of the frame before the dropper part then you can fit a crudguard . Stealth routing is no problem as you just take the clamp off the crudguard and bend it round the seatpost and refit . Mudhuggers are vastly better though IMO .

tillydog
    Free Member

I’m proud of my solution – so proud that I just got my bike out of the shed to take photos… 😳

May I present The CrudHugger:

It’s my old Crudcatcher rear mudguard with about 2″ cut off the fat end in an artistic manner. I warmed it up with a heat gun to get it to fit inside the stays a bit more neatly and then drilled a few holes and cable-tied it to death.

It’s really solid. It doesn’t move, rattle, or get in the way (it flexes if you sit on it) and works very well – better than the Crudcatcher – compare the state of back of the seatpost to the rest of the bike:

Form an orderly queue, please.

BigDummy
    Free Member

May I present The CrudHugger:

Very elegant. Proof, were any needed, that mudguards don’t need to look terrible. 😉

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Zefal no mud, It’s not great but was cheap and keeps the worst of it off.
    It has got an extender bit but I couldn’t be bothered to fit it.

iainc

that Zefal no mud thing is interesting, might take a punt on one as I really don’t like the mudhugger as it’s a PITA to get on and off

woody2000

I have a no mud too. It’s a tidy bit of kit, bit heavy (and ugly) but solid once mounted and keeps the worst of the crap off.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s designed for big wide tyres, but I wanted it primarily for keeping the post clean and it does that perfectly.

The mounting clamps have slots in them so that the brake and/or gear cables can run through them, However cable bosses are too big for them, hence the mud guard is sitting high off of my tyre.

Plenty of adjustment and different size clamps for different diameter tubing, they can also fit onto forks to cover the front wheel spray:

iainc

thanks for that, I think I’d mount mine similarly to yours as I have 2.3 purgatory on rear. Only £13 on wiggle so just ordering to give it a try.

didgerman
    Free Member

I use a mucky nutz fat butt, think that’s right. Ok for a quick fix on a wet night.

dmorts

Any ideas for a Commencal Meta 5.5, single swing arm there? Currently use a mucky nutz thing

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rear mudguards with dropper posts?’ is closed to new replies.