Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear mech weirdness, please help?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

So, my lovely XTR rear mech got smashed to pieces last Tuesday.
    I’ve ordered the replacement plates so I can get it up and running soon.
    In the meantime I’ve bought an XT shadow plus rear mech to keep as a spare and to get me back n the trails.
    I’ve spent about 2 hours trying to set up the rear mech on a 2×10 set up and it just doesn’t work and i Don’t know why..
    On the rear cassette I have put the chain on the smallest cog (11T) and no tension on the cable, I’ve then set the L screw so that it lines up with the centre of the 11T.
    If I them take it to the 36T and set up the H screw it is really difficult to get the jockey wheel lined up almost like there is too much cable tension.
    If I do line it up then the chain skips around loads at the top end of the cassette but is fine at the 11T end.
    Do you reckon the rear mech is knacked?
    Could it be my rear mech hanger is knacked? I did need to straighten it after my XTR mech got obliterated.
    Any help will be appreciated!!

bails

Follow the park tool rear mech setup procedure. If that doesn’t work then yes there might be a problem.

JoeG
    Free Member

Probably the hanger. They’re meant to bend or break in order to take the damage instead of the dropout and frame.

Most bike shops have a hanger alignment tool like this that they can use to check if its bent.

Good writeup on the Park site as well.

carlos
    Free Member

If you’ve smashed a mech to bits then its most definitely likely to be the hanger 🙂

Scapegoat

Also, if it’s a biggish cassette, have you set the B limit screw properly so the chain and top jockey aren’t fouling on the big cog?

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, I have checked everything as suggested, reckon the hanger is duff.
    I will order a new one and hopefully that’ll sort it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech weirdness, please help?’ is closed to new replies.