Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rear mech shifting issue
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi my rear mech, XT 9 speed, suddenly stopped shifting mid-ride to the last 3 cogs on the cassette (i.e. 11, 12, 14) with the lever just going floppy once I get into the last cog I can select. Cable looks OK, decent tension, mech hanger/mech look straight and nothing changed (by me), no big impacts etc during the ride.

Not sure where to start other than strip it down and reset up. I’m thinking the shifter might be dead if it can’t get the last 3 gears? Replacement shifter is ~£30 so not huge cost but don’t want to chuck a shifter away if I don’t need to.

Has anyone had anything similar and got any possible solutions?

Edric64
    Free Member

Does it do all the clicks it should but just not go down the bottom of the cassette? Disconnect the cable and the spring should take it to the 11 that will tell you the mech is travelling the full distance ?

leftyboy
    Free Member

Does 7 clicks but 7th click doesn’t move the chain to the correct cog, will try removing cable and see what happens – didn’t want to do that half way through a 27 miler!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MadBillMcMad

1. disconnect from rear mech & while holding the cable end try clicking up’n’down – does that work OK.

2. pull outer from lever & holding cable near lever click up’n’down.

If in doubt though if the ouer is more than 6 months old I would just slap on new outers & inners. I use those brass oiling thingies halfway along the cable to keep the cable oiled.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Inner cable sticking in the outer? Probably in the bit nearest the derailleur.

muddy9mtb

check no muck or bit of stone has got in behind the 2 set screws or hi/lo screws. disconnect the gear cable from the mech and push it by hand to set any gear, see how far it will go, if that’s okay check the lever for any fouling, replace gear cable if found to be sticking at all

leftyboy
    Free Member

Thanks all for the suggestions I’ll give them a go later, trying to get a ride in every day whilst the family are away so hoping for an easy fix otherwise I’ll have to break out the road bike!

muddy9mtb

should be easy fix unless the shifters given up the ghost, but never turn to the darkside

leftyboy
    Free Member

Was turned to TDS many years ago, started doing club riding and time trials (badly) at age 14! After finding off road riding quite a few years ago I’ve always preferred it but always had a road bike in the collection for either commuting or just ‘leisure’ riding.

br
    Free Member

Inner cable sticking in the outer? Probably in the bit nearest the derailleur.

This would be a good start. Just under the cable on the mech and then hold it, move the shifter and see how much/little the inner moves.

Also put it into high/low gear first.

leftyboy
    Free Member

So striped the cable out as expected it was sticky so new inners and outers will be fitted tonight. Rear shifter still not working (with no cable atatched) I can get 9 clicks down but only 3 or 4 up, tried lubing it and it seems that it’s slipping going down but jamming going up. As it’s had a very hard life for 3 years I’m replacing it with a new shifter. I might strip it down and see if it’s fixable to use as a spare but I suspect it’ll be a pig to get back together!

Thanks for all the advice.

muddy9mtb

xt shifters are easy to remove covers – unlike sram which are an integral part of the working mechanism (so never take it apart unless you like repairing clocks?) they are very robust and sounds like you have some dirt in it, but then anything can break under the right circumstances

leftyboy
    Free Member

Replaced with new shifter, new inner and outer space and pulled cable hand tight which has resulted in near perfect shifting. Only issue now is a reluctance to select the lowest gear when in middle ring so need so gentle adjustment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech shifting issue’ is closed to new replies.