Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • rear mech max capacity, can you go slightly over?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Going to put a 10 speed Sram apex cassette on the cross bike, with compact chainset, so it’ll be 11-32 rear, 50/34 chainrings.

That gives a max capacity of 37, but the SLX rear mech i’m going to use comes as medium cage mas capcity 35 (or long cage 45).

Will being 2 teeth over cause problems? I wont really be using biggest/biggest or smallest / smallest ring combinations anyway

Cheers

GW
    Free Member

no

thomthumb
    Free Member

i reckon so. shimano made a 29er cassette (12-36) and as far as i can work out never made a rear mech to cope with more than 34T.

GW
    Free Member

sorry, rather confusingly the thread title asks the opposite question to the question posted:

Will being 2 teeth over cause problems?

so to clarify I was answering “no” to this ^^

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’ll work fine, just tet it up so it either wont work in small-small or big-big whichever you think will be easisest to live without.

Small-small caries a small chance of the mech/chain tangling, and will make a lot nof noise and not work well, not having big-big coud potentialy destroy the mech/hamger/chain.

lakesrider
    Free Member

cheers everyone 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘rear mech max capacity, can you go slightly over?’ is closed to new replies.